Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should I be worried??

Default should I be worried??

My ds is 11 weeks 4 days. Took him for a weight check yesterday and he is 12 pounds 7.5 ounces. 3 weeks before he was 11lbs 8 ounces. Is he gaining enough? He was 7lbs even at birth.

Also, he always only eats for 5 min rarely more per feeding and only will take one side per feed. Is he eating enough? I dont pump often at all but did yesterday and barely got 2 ounces total. I do know that baby is more effective than a pump, but im worried because im never engorged and never have been since the day my milk came in.

Default Re: should I be worried??

As long as your baby is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers (reference: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html), is being fed on demand, and is meeting his developmental milestones at a normal pace, he's getting enough to eat even though he is a smaller baby. There's nothing wrong with being small: healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes. The growth curves aren't like a test, where everyone who is below the 50th percentile is failing. Statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the first percentile as there are in the 99th, and just as many in the 25th as the 75th, etc.

Are you confident that your baby was weighed on the same scale, in the nude, every time? Discrepancies in calibration between scales often explains a baby who appears to bounce around the curves more than average.

It is totally normal for a baby to feed quickly, especially as he gets older. Taking just one breast per feeding is also normal, provided you offer the second and he refuses it. Pumping around 2 oz is totally normal for a mom who rarely pumps. And finally, it is completely normal not to feel engorged or full once milk supply equilibrates to match baby's needs. Feeling engorged or full only happens when you are making too much milk, or when baby is having trouble getting out the milk that is there. By the time most moms have been nursing for several weeks/months, they will rarely feel full unless their baby happens to skip a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It sounds like your baby is growing fine! Here is a growth chart for BF baby boys to compare your values: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.htmlIf your LO is alert, active, happy and having good diaper output then everything sounds good.

As babies grow, they get better (and therefore faster) at emptying the breast. 5 minute feedings are normal- especially if the baby is actively sucking the entire 5 minutes. Also, your body as adapted to your baby's milk needs so it is good not to feel engorged. If you did feel engorged then that would mean your body is making too much milk which is a problem.

Don't worry mama.. your baby sounds like a nursing champ who is healthy and growing at a good pace!
    July 27 2011

Thank you so much for your reply. He only has one blowout a day, is that ok? Pee diapers are in the normal range. As for the scale thing, im really not sure. I dont know how many they have in the office but it was the same kind. They just wheel the scale in the room to weigh the baby with nothing on.

At 11 weeks, it's normal for a baby to poop anywhere from several times a day to once a week.

Regarding the scale, you might want to ask the doc's office if they're using multiple scales.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"