Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refusing a bottle

Default Refusing a bottle

my daugher is 6 weeks old and i am trying to get her to take a bottle and i am having absolutely no luck at all. i have to take meds that i can not BF for 24-48 hours, i have enough stored milk that that is not going to be an issue i just need any helpful advice on how to make this transition a little easier by the end of the weekend... anyone with any suggestions would be amazing!

Default Re: Bottle issues

Before you get int the bottle issue, would you mind sharing the name of the med you need to take? Often mamas are given over conservative advice about medications during breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Refusing a bottle

I split this out because I thought it deserves its own thread.

Please do let us know what the medication is... I may be able to get you some more info on it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I have to take metronidazole .... Both the Dr and pharmacist said not to bf

Okay, I just sent some info on it from Medications and Mothers' Milk to the email address in your profile. If it doesn't get to you, let me know.

It says that if a large single dose is prescribed (2 gm was the amount mentioned), then a lot of doctors recommend not breastfeeding for 12-24 hours afterward. So the 24-48 hours you're hearing from your doctor and pharmacist may be overly conservative.

If you have time, I'd recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at (806)-352-2519. They can give you more information specific to your particular situation. But they're only open Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm CST.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank u for the info I appreciative it. She took 2oz tonight from a bottle but was pretty fussy the whole time. I'm gonna take the Meds Sunday to give me some time to get her accustomed to the bottle .

Make sure you are pumping enough during that time to prevent yourself from getting mastitis, plugged ducts and your supply dropping. Is there anyone else, besides you, that can give the bottle? LO, will probably put up less of a fight if someone else is trying.

My husbands been trying as well and she's still cranky.

While pumping and dumping how often should I pump? That's my concern I don't want to have clogged ducts or anything .

I'd pump at least as often as she nurses. Or if you feel overfull

You could try cup feeding. Done correctly, cup feeding gives baby more control and many times babys who refuse bottles are OK with this. Also you could try giving the bottle in a way that baby has more control over the feeding (like she does when nursing) and that might help her be more relaxed. It sounds from the info LLLKaren posted, you should only have to do this for about a day, baby will miss nursing but it will be OK!

There is a cup feeding video at near the bottom of this page. Be aware, this feeding was done during a lactation appointment so you see the mom with her breasts exposed. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

and info on paced bottle feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf