Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally frustrated

Default Totally frustrated

My son is almost 8 weeks old and is so incredibly gassy. He screams bloody murder while passing gas or trying to. Some days are worse than others. This morning it was awful and my husband mentioned us trying formula instead. This has been on-going for weeks now. I have been dairy free for several weeks (with a few minor cheats). I have tried to do the elimination diet a few times but it is just so hard. I don't even know if I truly believe it is a allergy issue. One night I had a weak moment. I thought well if he is gonna scream I might as well have a full tummy so I ate a chocolate chocolate chip muffin. That night he barely cried at all.

His stools are currently yellow/orange and sometimes are mucousy. There used to be a few a day, but now he seems to have one MAJOR blowout once every three days. He did have some green tinged ones in the past.

He was placed on Axid starting last Monday. I do think he has reflux based on my experience with my daughter having it, but not sure the medicine is helping too much. My daughter was on prevacid and that seemed to be more effective (at least for her). His ped said that prevacid isn't reccommended for infant under 1.

I love BFing so much. I so don't want to quit, but this screaming/crying for hours each day is wearing me out emotionally and physically. HELP!!!

Default Re: Totally frustrated

Dairy is tricky. Because there is hidden dairy in so much PROCESSED food. You can have a full belly. You just have to change the way you think about food. Avoiding dairy is fairly easy if you think in terms of eating only whole real foods. You shop the perimeter of the store and you only eat fruits, veggies and meat. Drink juice and water. Need more? Add in rice. Based on your post it sounds like it COULD be dairy. Bright yellow Mustardy poop is normal. The orange could be tinged with blood. Which could absolutely be dairy related. Long term though your milk is going to be better for him and FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than any formula out there. And no one actually dies from lack of milk and cheese. (Although the thought of living without it does make some people want to.) But it's such a short time in their life when they nurse ya know? And if your baby truly has a milk allergy you are going to have to make major food adjustments anyways long term. May as well practice. It takes weeks for Dairy to completely leave your system. And every time you cheat you have to start over. So do an elimination diet. And really see. How worth it would it be if a month with no dairy really made him stop crying? If it doesn't then you know it's something else. But the orange poop.....and the screaming.....I'd do a total elimination diet and then add things back in.

Way too lazy for formula

From what you say, I am going to suggest this...

This is NOT from breastfeeding. This is probably not even from a dairy sensitivity. This might not even be due to reflux, although that could have a role.

This could be his personality. Two of my four were this way. And I wore myself out trying to fix it, and suddenly, it all went away. Eventually. Many babies need time to transition from the womb to life, they are overwhelmed, and they cry to block it all out. And so it isn't your fault, and it isn't breastfeeding's fault. He will probably cry if you give him a bottle.

Try spending more time in quiet spaces, nursing, baby wearing, just chilling out, and see if that helps.

I have used Axid for all my babies, and one even took Previcid too (they did have acid reflux), and I have never heard that Previcid is not recommended for babies. If it helps, that is good.

And I am with PP..the stools would make me do an elimination diet, difficult as it is.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with aprilsmagic. I am also thinking that the issue here could be reflux, but could also easily be the dreaded "C" word: colic. My kids were both colicky babies, though luckily it was only () for several hours a day, and not all day long!

Some things that helped us:
    - Babywearing
    - Motion- rock in rocker, bounce on ball, swing, car ride
    - Nurse. Nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse.
    - Warm water- try a warm bath in the sink when the screaming is most intense. Soap is not necessary.
    - Fresh air- both my kids would stop screaming the moment I took them outside
    - Keep the house calm- turn down the stereo, lights, and tv
    - White noise

Remind your DH that formula probably won't solve any problems, and even if it did it comes with a whole unique set of problems! What do you gain by exchanging one set of problems for another?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with PP. My knee jerk reaction to what you said about your DH suggesting formula was, isn't formula harder to digest, and therefore going to be harder on baby's tummy? Anyway, my DD was pretty uncomfortable when she was a newborn, and what helped me in the moment of a crying fit is to think about what was happening to her from her perspective. Since we had noticed that passing gas seems to cause her to cry a lot, I thought, gee, it must be really scary, and disorienting to have this new, probably painful and uncomfortable sensation happening to your body-- I'd cry too! It at the very least helped me gain a sense of perspective. DD is no longer nearly as cranky,(she just grew out of it over time) but I have noticed she seems especially sensitive to just changes in general, whether it's her personality, or normal baby behavior, who knows. Oh, and bicycling/pumping her legs really helped with the gas. Everytime I'd try to massage her abdomen, she'd stiffen up and holler....such a shame, as I'm a massage therapist!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Formula is the last thing I would want to give a baby with digestive isssues. Seriously. Not a good idea.

I suggest you not starve yourself. True food sensitivities from breastmilk are RARE, and will often have exteme symptoms-blood in the stool, baby never being able to sleep for more than an hour at a time, that kind of thing. If you really feel it is your diet, please be very systematic in how you change your diet. I strongly urge you to not do elimination diets. These put incredible stress on a moms system while she is needing to be eating lots due to breastfeeding! Plus, what do they tell you? You eliminate everything, and say baby stops fussing. but what caused the issue? You don't know. Are you going to live on rice and chicken the entire time you nurse? it makes little sense to me. Eliminate one possibility at a time. First dairy, as it is the usualy culprit. And you need to eliminate it for several weeks-2-4 I think? If that does not work, the next things to try is wheat and gluten. So eat dairy again, and eliminate wheat and gluten.

But I agree with pp. Some babys are just more fussy and gassy than others. And gas is caused by things beside diet, for example, long crying jags cause a baby to swallow air and get gassy also.

Dr. Sears has good tips for gas. I also never had luck with massage either. It made my baby cry harder! But things like the magic baby hold worked pretty well.

I found that my LO was so gassy bc of me having a oversupply. I never would have thought! this is what happens, The cause of the problem is usually a combination of an overactive letdown reflex along with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Let’s say that the ‘average’ mother has one half ounce of foremilk (the thin, sweet milk produced at the beginning of the feeding that is high in lactose but lower in fat) and two ounces of hindmilk (the higher calorie, thicker milk that is produced as the milk lets down and moves through the ducts, collecting fatty particles). This ‘average’ mother’s baby will get a total of about 5 ounces of milk if he nurses on both breasts. The mother with too much milk, on the other hand, may have an ounce of foremilk and 3 ounces of hindmilk in each breast. This means that the baby may get 4ounces of milk on the first breast, and if you switch him to the other side, he may be so full that he will only get the ounce of foremilk that comes out at the beginning of the feeding. This results in a disproportionate amount of foremilk – and since foremilk is high in lactose, he may become gassy and spit up as a result of too much lactose being emptied into his bowel. Because he doesn’t get enough of the fatty hind milk, his stomach empties quickly and he wants to eat again soon.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...ch-breast-milk

Formula would most likely just create more issues. Its much harder to digest plus most bottles add air than the breast, no matter how good they are. Have you tried Mylecon? Or wearing him in a wrap like the Moby Wrap or Sleepy Wrap? Sometimes the comfort plus the slight pressure on the tummy can help a lot. I know I'd die without my Moby wrap with A2 that has terrible reflux.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. I have read them all and really think it might be oversupply and reflux. He was so quiet yesterday until about 4 pm when he cried/screamed off/on until about 8 pm. His Axid was due around 8-9 pm but I gave in and gave it around 6 pm. He just kept screaming when I tied to nurse him. Popping on and off. I finally stripped us both down and laid in bed with him and nursed around 8 pm and he nursed beautifully. He fell asleep there and had a pretty quiet night. It was such a nice break. I wonder if his dose isn't high enough to get him though the day. He gets 1.5 ml 2x a day. Whatever is going on he is growing well. He was 6 lbs 10 oz at birth and now is over 12 lbs. He was 11 lbs 4 oz 2 weeks ago.

I have been trying to feed him off one breast per feeding, but sometimes it doesn't work out. When I pump I get about 6-8 oz from both breasts combined. I think I will need to work on that. If I can get him to only feed off one breast per feeding that should help with the fore/hind milk imbalance, right? Anyone have success with that?

Right. That is block feeding.

The problem with Axid, which is like Pepcid, is that they outgrow it quickly. It might be worth touching base with your doc and asking about the dose.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!