Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night wean 8 month old

Default Night wean 8 month old

Is DD too young to night wean. she wakes, from 3 to 5 times a night, regardless if i co sleep. Actually co sleep is worse as she wakes everything time I move? She eats three meals, she LOVES solids. she actually screams for more. she still nurses every 2 to 3 hours during day. I am a SAHM.

The night wakings are taking a toll on me lately. Imhave a 3 year old home with me too. tridents to withold the breast at night and she screams and I give in. DH can't help as he can't tolerate the crying at all.

I would love to co tinue nursing past one year but not if itmmeans having to wake so many times at night.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Default Re: Night wean 8 month old

oh and it's not teething that is waking her.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2

My son is 16 months old and still wakes 2-3 times a night. I can't imagine how I would get him back to sleep if I didn't nurse him. When we have had especially difficult nights, up every hour and nursing doesn't help, my husband will take him and rock him just to give me a break. At 8 months old I don't think I would have considered night weaning yet because they are still so young and despite any solids, breastmilk is their number one nutrition. I have a 5 year old. I get you on needing more sleep. But I hate to say it's normal. If your supply is solid, can you pump and have your husband spell you one night? Or even if he just brings the baby to you to nurse and then immediately takes her away so you can get more sleep one night? On the weekends my husband gets up with the kids so I can get an extra hour or two of sleep. That helps tremendously. Plus it's usually the only time I get alone.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

When my son was about 8.5-9mo I weaned him off one of his three nightime nursing sessions. We focused on cutting back slowly on his 2am session so he was sleeping from 11pm to 4am pretty regularly. It took an entire week to wean just that one. What worked for us was using an alarm to wake us up before he did, then I could pick him up and nurse him while he was still half asleep and he never resisted when I took him off the breast and put him back in his crib. Of course this works best if baby wakes up at approx. the same time every night.

I don't think encouraging an 8mo to go a 5 hour stretch is unreasonable.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

Most "experts" don't recomend any form of sleep training until at least 9 month and that even seems young to me. Let me ask, are you thinking if she don't nurse at night that the alternative is sleep? I think thats the key. What are your expectations with sleep training? If your DH cant help with parenting at night due to an intollarance of crying ( note to self, discuss my intollanance with my DH ) he may find the crying is worse because she wants to nurse and it has been decided that she will ween at night. Remember at although she loves solids for the next few months solids are for play and learning only but BM should be the source of nutrition for her.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't know, the idea of night weaning an 8 month old makes me really uncomfortable. And just because you night wean does not mean she will magically sttn. Babies wake up at night. It's what they do. On occasion my 2 year old wakes up. My 12 month old nurses 4-5 times a night.

I feel you on being tired. But they're only babies for a short while.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I didn't wean my son completely at night, but I cut him down from 6-8 wakings to 1-2 at about 7 months old. Some crying was involved, but it only took about 2 nights before we saw dramatic improvement. He now only wakes at about 4-5am on good nights, or sometimes around 1 and then 5. Its much more manageable, I feed him and he goes right back to sleep. He sleeps in his own room all night. He is also way better at napping during the day now, and is in a better mood overall.

My husband did most of the work at the beginning. Anytime I go to my son he would not settle until I nursed him, but my husband could pat him and sooth him and he'd fall asleep.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

3-5 times a night is hard mama! maybe you can try to drop one feed at a time. maybe for the first waking you can try going to bed early after you put your dd down and have your dh bring her to you at her first waking and come back 10 min later and put her back down in her crib? have you or your husband tried just picking her up and not giving her the boob? i am trying to night weean my son now he is 11 months old. he really suprised me b/c he actually just needed help falling back to sleep and doesnt' even go for the boob just wants to be held... for the first few times he was up a long time (b/c after we would pick him up he would fall asleep and then wake as soon as we put him down) and did cry a lot but he has been sttn for the past couple of nights. it is hard to hear him cry but i knew it wasn't hunger b/c he wasnt trying to drink when i held him. he did need to learn to soothe himself to sleep (i knew all of his needs were met).

my first son was formula fed and i sleep trained him at 5.5 months and his is a beautiful sleeper.

switching to formula feeding may not help her sttn any better so don't give up. i would try just holding her and not offering and see if she just wants to cuddle...
    good luck!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I am not worried about her bm intake because she still eats every two to three hours, more on the two hour side and I stay home with her. There are times she will eat an hour later. Just like today, she ate for pears and wanted my boob to nurse even though she just nursed an hour before. I do giver her some water, but she isnt a fan of it yet.

My DS, 3, will wake once a night because he wants to sleep with me and not because he wants a bowl a cereal or juice. That I can handle but wehn the majority of days are 5--6 times you just lose it the rest of the day.

I will hold off another month, but I need to wean her to at least twice a night. I just don't know how to do it without resorting to CIO.

I did do CIO with DS for his 1am feed and after two days he slept from 8 to 4am religiously. But I didn't nurse him and I think b.c I am nursing her, I cant seem to CIO. Of course I have let her cry here and there after nursing because she didn't want to get back but not too much crying.

I out her down about 6:30/7:00 and I wind up passing out about 8:00/8:30pm because of being tired of not sleeping and being home all day with two kiddies.

I wish I could have DH help but defin not know as his work schedule has changed and he needs to go to bed at 7pm in order to wake at 3am to go to work.

I guess one positive is my period is still gone. YEAH! and this nursing helps me eat whatever I want and not gain a pound. Yes and I know its good for her that is why I am doing it.

I was just looking for help on how to reduce with at least stress as possible for everyone involved.

I even went so far as to give her a pump bottle of milk when she usually wakes at 10 ish and she refused to take it from me so DH gave it and she still refused to go back to sleep until I nursed her. Stubborn little girl!!!!Takes after me already. She does take the bottle from my Mom all the time when I am at school, twice a week, but we have been on break for several weeks now.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2

I think anything before a year is too soon, too. But I know that every family is different. For what it's worth, I have a 3 year old and a 12 month old too, the 3 year old wakes once or twice on occasion, but DH is the night time parent for her. My 12 month old wakes 3 times a night to nurse on average, and sometimes up to every hour if she's teething or sick. My kids go to sleep at 8 pm and I am in bed at 9 pm pretty much every night. Anyway, here is a link on night weaning in a gentle fashion when you get to that point. http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

You know, she is right at that age for separation anxiety.

ETA: Also, you might look at some of aprilsmagic's posts. Her 12 month old is bottle fed and he wakes up all night. It's what babies do. it's not because of nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months