Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: diarhea in breastfed baby

Default diarhea in breastfed baby

My LO has been congested for the past few days and she has had about 10-12 BM today and they have a a green tint to them. This is unusual for her! I did not know if it was from the mucous or maybe diarhea. Can anybody help me?

Default Re: diarhea in breastfed baby

It's possible that with her congestion she is only getting foremilk or mostly foremilk because of difficulty nursing. Hindmilk is fattier and help produce the mustardy yellow poops. When they don't get enough hindmilk, their poops can me the green. That may be what's going on.

Ok so how would I tell? She hasn't changed her eating habit at all even being congested. She never nurses no more than 15 minutes max and always produces her mustardy yellow poops.

how old is she?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

she is 7 weeks. Nothing has changed in our routine except her being sick. : (

Just keep nursing it's the best thing to do, after she gets better her poop may return to the yellow color or stay the same...green is a norm al color for infant poop...you just need to make sure it's not frothy or mucusy for the most part
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Green poops can be normal or may be the sign of a virus. Since baby has been ill, that would possibly explain green poops. According to Dr. Jay Gordon (see article below) diarrhea in a breastfed baby presents as more frequent than normal, very watery, green stools. But even if it is diarrhea, the best medicine is to keep nursing, as the concern with diarrhea is dehydration and the best thing for that is to nurse alot. How old is baby and is that on unusual amount of poop in a day?

article on nursing when baby is sick: http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

poop article: http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html