Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raynaud's?

Default Raynaud's?

Does anyone have experience with Raynaud's? I am wondering if it causes pain during nursing sessions- my LO frequently comes off and will relatch. When he comes off, my nipple will be purple and painful. Just wanting to know if anyone else has had experience with Raynaud's and first, what the pain felt like and when you experienced it, and second, what you did to lessen the pain. Thanks!

Default Re: Raynaud's?

I don't know anything about Raynaud's but are you sure you are getting a correct latch? And could it be over supply?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I have a friend with Raynauds. Have you ever been diagnosed with it elsewhere? The key for this is to keep warm, so immediatly after nursing cover breast and even you can hold it tight to warm it quickly. If this doesn't solve the problem you mihht want to call LLL or see an IBCLC. It sounds like a latch or tongue tie type issue to be honest.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

with the PP who asked if you have Raynaud's elsewhere, or before you had your child. If you've struggled with it pre baby, then Raynaud's is a good possibility and could explain the pain you have. However, if you never had it pre baby, the problem could be a vasospasm due to compression of the nipple due to a poor latch. More on vasospasms and Raynaud's: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

sorry just noticed typos, was nak and up at 1am, ack
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I have been told I have Raynaud's by a LC, although I am not sure if they told me that just to give me a diagnosis for my pain. My nipple does turn white after nursing, then purple, then red, which would be consistent with Raynaud's. When my nipple comes out of his mouth during nursing, it is severely discolored- deep purple, looks totally unnatural and like there is absolutely no blood flow going to the nipple. I occasionally have a white ring around the base of the nipple. The pain after nursing doesn't concern me as much as the pain during the nursing session. I have been told that my latch "looks good" too many times to count, and people seem to dismiss that as a possibility for my pain. I have tried many different things to help with the latch, but nothing seems to help. We had his frenulum clipped a few weeks back, and that has helped with the pain, but I am still having the color changes to the nipples and continue to have pain, just less severe. My doc prescribed nifedipine for the Raynaud's but I am hesitant to take it if it is not necessary. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

there is a mama on here with raynauds..I think her alias is @llli*bxlgirl
    maybe sending her a message would help?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

It doesn't matter what your baby's latch looks like. What matters is how the latch feels. A latch can look perfect and feel terrible, and vice versa.

When your baby unlatches, what shape is the nipple? Is it symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical/creased/wedged, like a new lipstick? Lipstick nipples point to compression, usually due to a latch which is too shallow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Most of the time my nipples are symmetrical, although there is an occasional asymmetrical shape after nursing. It seems as though I experience the greatest amount of pain when LO wakes up to feed in the middle of the night. I don't know if that's because the latch is poor bc I am so tired and it's dark, or if it's because I am cold (I get up out of bed to nurse at night).
    Any tricks for getting a deeper latch?

Tricks for getting a deeper latch:
    - check out the latching videos on this page, in particular the asymmetrical latch: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
    - Nipple sandwich technique: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/NippleSandwich.htm. You may have to compress significantly more than shown.
    - Try different positions- if there's one position that feels better, use it
    - See a LC, preferably an IBCLC, for assistance with latching
    - Time- babies tend to grow out of latching problems