Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: please help!

Default please help!

Hi, my son is nearly 7 weeks and for last few days I have been feeding constantly. He is very difficult to settle and get to sleep which is part of reason for frequency although he does seem hungry every 1.5-2 hours. Feeds last up to 90 mins and I am exhausted! I'm worried because his poo is now turning green (was yellow and curdy earlier in the day) which I think means too much fore milk? I don't understand as he is on the breast for so long and although is only feeding for a fraction of this time does seem to get several good let downs if he is on long enough. What should I do? Do I try and limit frequency of feeds? Any other advice please!

Default Re: please help!

Green poop can be totally normal or it can mean bb has a little virus. If bb has no other symptoms of overactive let down (which causes the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance you are concerned about) I would not worry about it at all. And actually, the best thing to do for over active let down is to nurse frequently as you are doing.

BTW , "foremilk/hindmilk imbalance" is simply not the major issue some think it is. IN fact it is usually a total non-issue.

All nursing sessions start with the less fatty foremilk, and all during the feeding, the milk transitions slowly to fattier milk at the end. This is normal and desired, and all your milk is good for baby. If a mom has really bad overactive letdwon, sometimes baby only gets that first rush of foremilk, gets full, stops nursing, and that causes the issues. If baby is having tons of green, frothy poops and extreme gastrointestional discomfort, or gasping or choking at the breast, then OALD is a problem, (with lots of solutions.) Otherwise, it is NOT a problem.

A 7 week old is still a very young baby and extremely frequent nursing patterns is expected, normal and good. Of course you are tired, but that kind of comes with the territory. Don't worry about how much baby is nursing and instead concentrate on maximizing your sleep. Try to sleep whenever baby sleeps, (this means nap, go to bed early, and sleep in whenever possible) sleep with baby close by, consider if safe bedsharing will work for you.
    For long feeding sessions, some moms find breast compressions help.

Thanks, he does have a runny nose at present and I have a cough/cold so perhaps it is viral? Ok, I guess I don't mind the frequency as much it's more that he is unsettled and will only sleep in bed on my chest or in a sling. He also usually sleeps in the car but not always. He is my second baby and first was a nightmare to feed, wouldn't latch on and gained weight v slowly so I guess I'm just always worried he is still hungry, could this be part of it? (he was 3.12kg born, lost 7%, 3.78kg last week) Thanks again.

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! LLLMeg gave you terrific advice. Definitely do not try to limit the baby's feeding frequency. He knows when he is hungry, and the frequency you describe is absolutely normal for such young baby. Both my kids fed every 1-2 hours during the daytime until they were around 6 months old, at which point they would sometimes go 2-4 hours without nursing if we were in some especially exciting new environment.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That frequent of feedings at that age is extremely normal. Totally agree that occassional green poops are totally normal. He will start taking less time with feeds as he gets older. My dd A2 is 5 months old and still nurses every 2 hours at least. Just keep it up mama You are doing great!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Just another vote for completely normal. Not a matter of still be hungry as in - not enough milk. Only just normal infant feeding pattern. Feel free to stay in bed and habe others do housework and cooking as they come to visit baby.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Just another vote for completely normal. Not a matter of still be hungry as in - not enough milk. Only just normal infant feeding pattern. Feel free to stay in bed and habe others do housework and cooking as they come to visit baby.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.