Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing to go back

Default preparing to go back

hi ladies.. Just wanted some advice on preparing to go back to work. I have a couple weeks to go, so hoping to make it easier on my little 4.5 month old. I will so miss her.

today, I started pumping during the day and feed baby bottles (babysitter starts next week, so she will get familiar as well). I have good supply (touch wood) and seem ok with my PISA. Baby is not into the bottle part of it yet, but we are trying. By this evening, she got tired and fed up of the bottle! So I BF ed her. Made me sad and guilty to have to put her thru it all :-(

Any advice? How did you all prep before going back?

Default Re: preparing to go back

I just made sure he knew how to take a bottle by having MIL and FIL babysit for us for a few hours while DH and I went on a date or while I tried to sleep or clean. Your baby probably will not take a bottle from you because she knows you have the goods right there, available. Can you drop her off with someone while you run some errands or something? Or do you have a spouse or partner? If so, can they try giving a bottle while you enjoy a bath or something? IMO, you shouldn't try to make her take one all day while you pump all day, that can ruin your supply. Just getting her used to taking one is the battle. Once she knows how, she will probably take one just fine with her DCP.

ETA: How much milk do you have stored for when you go back and how often will you get to pump at work? How long will you be away from your LO? Is your DCP familiar with giving bottles to breast fed babies?

thanks for your inputs! I will cut down the hard-core bottle attempts! Plan to store around 25-30 oz by pumping a bit each day from now. Does that sound 'enough..i'll be away about 10 hours from her and will hopefully be able to pump 2 times at work, we have a couple pumping rooms at office. I have to be out at customer sites sometimes so that will be tricky, thinking of pumping in my car if it comes down to that..

If you are away ten hours, you should absolutely try to get in more than two pumping sessions. Will you be gone 5 days a week? Morning pump sessions yield more milk than any other time of day, so maybe pump each morning after nursing to build a stash. If you can pump in the morning before going to work, it will help you maintain a supply and provide milk for her while she is away from you. Do you have a car adaptor for your pump? Also, for future reference, pump parts do wear out, so if you ever have an issue with not getting as much from your pump as you are used to, you may need to replace something.

oh wow, I didn't realize the car adaptor was available, I see it online. Thanks! Also your advice on getting 3 pumping sessions at work. So a morning, noon and evening session? Of say 15 mins each? When I practice pumped today, I got like 4 oz in total from both sides in about 5 mins. Didn't do more for fear of overdoing it. Am nervous about how it will all work at office, so your help is much appreciated. Thanks again!

If you notice that your supply is dropping or you become engorged, you may need to find time for more sessions. Depending on how you respond to the pump, three times may be enough. The rule of thumb is to provide approx 1-1.5 oz for each hour you are away from baby. Some babies drink less. There is a way to bottle feed a breastfed baby. Have you ever visited kellymom.com? Good info there.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk2011 View Post
    Also your advice on getting 3 pumping sessions at work. So a morning, noon and evening session? Of say 15 mins each? When I practice pumped today, I got like 4 oz in total from both sides in about 5 mins. Didn't do more for fear of overdoing it. Am nervous about how it will all work at office, so your help is much appreciated. Thanks again!
    For me, I have to pump 4 times at work (and sometimes again on the drive home) in order to get enough milk for the next day. I've always had lowish supply though. You'll want to experiment with how many times you need to pump to make sure that your supply doesn't drop. It depends on the person, but my rule of thumb was that I pumped everytime DS was getting a bottle. At first, he was getting a bottle every 2 hours at daycare... so I pumped every 2 hours. Now, he gets one every 3 hours, but I haven't been able to drop a session so I'm still pumping frequently.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)