Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenging One....stumped the nurse

Default Re: Challenging One....stumped the nurse

Thank you ladies for all your updates and thoughts on this subject. I picked her up from daycare and she had drank 20 ounces and I was getting ready to feed her when she fell alseep and has been for hours. I think I will go ahead and breast feed her one last time tonight and home she keeps it down.

20 oz! wow, that's a lot mama. how long are you away?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You did stump the nurse, didn't you! Unfortunately, instead of saying "I don't know" she made up a whole pump and dump fantasy. Don't stop nursing..

Your daughter is probably just taking in more at the breast which is great when sick. We tend to think of illness symptoms as horrible but often they serve a healthy purpose. It may also be she relaxes more at breast and thus vomits more, any of us who had terrible morning sickness might relate to that, as soon as you relax and let down your defenses you vomit (now that's just anecdote).
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Or she could be over eating with the bottle, and by the time she gets to the breast, she's nursing on a full stomach, causing her to vomit after nursing.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    20 oz! wow, that's a lot mama. how long are you away?
    She drank 20oz between 10a and 5:30p but she had thrown up two out of her 3 feedings the night before including her morning feeding. Today she did 20oz again. She will go through phases were she will do 20 or 25 ounces at daycare. Usually associated with growth spurt or something to that nature and only lasts 1 to 2 days. On average she does 15 oz.

Thank you Ladies.... I took your advice and continued nursing and think we have figured out what might be going on. She had a bad cold two weeks ago. I think she will start coughing and that will start the vomit. Last night when she started coughing I ran into the bathroom where I had taken a shower so there was moist air. She stopped coughing and did not throw up. She threwup at daycare and they said she had started to cough and up it came......

^ Oh yeah, that makes sense. My youngest would throw up from coughing or too much mucous too, all the time. BTW, it does not seem to be something that concerns you but just in case, fyi, some moms do find baby is being inadvertently overfed at daycare, which is mainly a problem because mom then has trouble keeping up with the demand. you might want to check this out: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

redpowerlady said:
    It may also be she relaxes more at breast and thus vomits more, any of us who had terrible morning sickness might relate to that, as soon as you relax and let down your defenses you vomit (now that's just anecdote).
    Ha Ha. I hear ya, sister. I would tell my husband (through clenched teeth) "I am not tense, I am trying to not hurl!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    ^ Oh yeah, that makes sense. My youngest would throw up from coughing or too much mucous too, all the time. BTW, it does not seem to be something that concerns you but just in case, fyi, some moms do find baby is being inadvertently overfed at daycare, which is mainly a problem because mom then has trouble keeping up with the demand. you might want to check this out: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf
    Thank you for the info on over feeding, you are correct that I am not that worried. I am still pumping 5additional ounces a day over what she drinks. On the weekends when I do on demandthe feedings we have the same number of feedings as she has at daycare.

with PP, but you may also have a fast flow... try the laid back breastfeeding.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011