Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Yr check up. Need advice

Default 1 Yr check up. Need advice

Hi Mamas,

So my daughter went in for her first yr check up. Everything went great doc said blah blah blah.. went in one ear and out the other. (i dont like her)

She had her finger pricked to see what her blood count was. It came up as 9.7 but the normal is 10. Her doc wants her to have BLOOD drawn? which i really dont want.

But is 9.7 terribly low if 10 is normal? please someone help with thoughts. This is just crazy to me. I BF and give her foods wen she wants. she bf throught the night and has done from birth.

Thanks,

Default Re: 1 Yr check up. Need advice

Is this a Hb test for iron? Personally, I would do the follow up blood draw. Anemia (iron deficiency) can occur in breastfed babies, and it's easily enough addressed. There isn't a lot of iron in breastmilk. I'm no expert, but understand most children have enough iron reserves at birth to get them through their first year, but for various reasons, some children don't. A simple blood draw would resolve the issue. I also think that anything under 10 is considered low - a pregnant woman with 9.7 is told to supplement with iron. Again, I don't know exactly how it works, but I would probably follow up, just me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My personal stance is that I would not do the blood draw, but would proceed as if my child were slightly anemic. So, feeding lots of iron rich foods, foods cooked in cast iron, etc. And vitamin C to help the iron be absorbed better. And maybe at the next appointment, you can request another finger stick to recheck.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I agree with pp-- maybe boosting iron levels first and then doing another finger stick could be a compromise you and the dr. could live with, and go from there.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Personally I am paranoid so I would get the blood draw just to avoid any complications.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    Personally I am paranoid so I would get the blood draw just to avoid any complications.
    I'd get one because I'd want to know as much information as possible. But that's just me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I like the idea of not getting the blood drawn but treating her as if she were anemic. 9.7 doesn't sound too far off the mark to me. If it were a 7 or an 8, I would have the blood drawn.
    Follow up appointment after treating with supplemental iron rich foods sounds good to me....
    It can't hurt her to give her lots of iron rich foods and iron. And isn't that what the end result of the blood draw be anyway?? If it WERE lower, you'd do the same things. Spare your child the trauma. Explain this nicely to your doc and ask him what foods he would recommend. That way he feels flattered and you both win : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

I definitely agree that it could be wise to increase the iron and follow up in a week or so. Isn't rice cereal iron fortified?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

My personal stance is that I would not do the blood draw, but would proceed as if my child were slightly anemic. So, feeding lots of iron rich foods, foods cooked in cast iron, etc. And vitamin C to help the iron be absorbed better. And maybe at the next appointment, you can request another finger stick to recheck.
    I agree with this. Also keep in mind that iron from supplements interferes with iron absorption in breastmilk. And iron supplements go through the gut while iron in breastmilk goes through the blood (better). So always better to treat with food as a first option.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

We had a low iron count at 9 months. Request a follow up pin prick in a few weeks and do some diet changes. Blackstrap molasses worked for us. If iron is still really low after this then I would go with a blood draw.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.