Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping?

Default pumping?

hey everyone i have a one year old and we do very well. my supply is very good and keeps him satisfied. i find though that the pump doesn't have a good effect on me. it doesn't work well to extract milk. its a great pump and i used to get tons of milk from it at least six months ago when i was nursing and pumping regularly. but i feel like my breasts are used to the way that my son uses his jaw and sucking instead of how the machine works. i've tried looking at pictures of him and using a warm compress to try and stimulate more flow but i can only get like 3 oz combined. and i know that theres more in there because they just don't feel as empty as they do when he drinks. i still feel full milk ducts or pockets whatever there called. any advice would be great. oh and its not the size of the pump i tried both and the one used to work great for me. the machine is really pretty new too.

Default Re: pumping?

It's because he's 12 months a lot of moms just can't pump well when they have a toddler unless they have been pumping regularly.

Try some compressions and a lot of practice.

However, many moms pump wean at 12 months and go on to nurse for years after
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My daughter is 14 months, and I still pump on the days when I she is home w/ Daddy (an hour away from my work). These days I only pump twice a day, and get a total of around 5-6 oz. My daughter refuses a bottle or even milk w/ a straw now, so she is spoon-fed my milk, and she doesn't go through any more than that. I understand that it's pretty normal to get less milk w/ pumping at this stage of her development. Are you uncomfortably full after pumping?

I also hand express milk prior to pumping, and that helps my breasts to feel more empty afterward. Plus it gives me about an ounce more of milk! If you've never tried hand expression, here is a video I love:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Best of luck!

how am i supposed to have a back up supply for a babysitter if it takes forever to get milk from a pump. grr this is aggravating. i just wish i could get more then just a few oz's. thank god its just a pumping problem and not a problem with the baby nursing from me.

Since your baby is a year old, you can have the babysitter give cow's milk or solids rather than your own milk, if you want. Though of course breastmilk is still ideal!

Keep at it, mama, and try different pumps, different shield sizes, try combining hand expression and pumping... Something may work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i can't give him any substitute for my milk because he has so many allergies. i am waiting for blood test results to find out more about his allergies and to see if any of them have changed but cows milk is a big no no and so is soy. i think he would do fine with almond milk but i wanna see his results before i try it. i will try a combo of hand expression and pumping and also see if my pump came with other shields to try that as well. thank you

Water. And nurse lots whe you are together.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!