Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it's a strike, how does he eat?

Default If it's a strike, how does he eat?

We had a great day yesterday and DS nursed 4x during the day while I rocked and sang him the ABCs.

Then, he woke up at 3 am this morning and nursed just fine.

But, at 630 am and every time after, he's refused. Like, as if I'm offering him a hot coal to suck on.

So, what should he eat?

I gave him expressed milk in a cup, but it mostly dribbles. I'm not certain he's getting much (I've tried the non-spill sippy, the sippy without the nifty valve thingy, and a regular cup which he just finds hilarious and wants to chew). At "breakfast," I gave him SOME banana just to keep him from starving...

After his morning nap, he refused. I continued to try for an hour. Then, I gave him some in a cup again, and he drank a bit but not tons. I think he had 3 crackers while I was running around the kitchen trying to get some things accomplished.

Then, he was TOTALLY ready for a nap, so I attempted to nurse and he REFUSED. So, I laid him down.

I have pumped both of those "normal" nursing times in order to keep my supply up.

I'm just getting so frustrated with this. He DOES have teeth working on him, so I have given him pain meds. I'm trying really hard, but it's getting to the point where I'd just rather EP and give it to him in a cup rather than keep fighting this.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: If it's a strike, how does he eat?

Are you able to lay down with him at nap? And then try to give him the nipple while he's sleeping? Many women have had luck with that. It doesn't last forever though. It's frustrating and scary, I know. I've only been through one day of it and remember, but I don't think he will let himself starve to death.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Unfortunately, no. If I try to lie down with him (and believe me, I have tried), he bites me, fights me, and gets really annoyed. He's totally mobile, so he just crawls away from me.

Am I doing the right thing by giving him SOME food (by way of solids)? He's 8 months.

Well, I mean lay down and not try to nurse him. Cuddle him and let him fall asleep. Then once he's asleep try to twilight nurse. He might do it unconsciously.

I would keep offering solids, personally. I'm not sure that keeping solids from him will make him want to nurse more. But hopefully someone else will come along and comment on how they did it.

Oh! LOL. Ok, I might try that tomorrow, then. Thank you for the help, regardless. I'm open to any and all suggestions so I can figure out what works best. I lean towards giving him solids, myself, with the milk in a cup, right? You are awesome. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    Oh! LOL. Ok, I might try that tomorrow, then. Thank you for the help, regardless. I'm open to any and all suggestions so I can figure out what works best. I lean towards giving him solids, myself, with the milk in a cup, right? You are awesome. Thank you.
    That's what I did the one nursing strike we went through. My son only chewed on the cup (his favorite is the Nuby), but I'm pretty sure he got some. If it's a teething nursing strike you could freeze some milk and give it to him in one of those mesh feeders. It might make him feel good and get a little bit more in him.

Ooh! Good idea. He's working on his 9-12th teeth. He's barely had any breaks. My let down is a little slow, but if he'll SUCK, it comes in within a decent amount of time.

Going to look for a mesh feeder....

Thank you to everyone who tried to help with this entire issue. I just felt like something was really wrong, and we went to see the doctor. It's an ear infection. We now have some medicine, and I'm hoping all will be better!!

Thanks again!!

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you found out what the problem was.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    Thank you to everyone who tried to help with this entire issue. I just felt like something was really wrong, and we went to see the doctor. It's an ear infection. We now have some medicine, and I'm hoping all will be better!!

Thanks again!!
    Glad you went with your instincts-they were right! Hope he feels better soon
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months