Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: somewhat confused

Default somewhat confused

My LO is 6 weeks old and I have noticed that the last week or so he has become very gassy. I have read the other post and kellymom.com and even the womanly art of breastfeeding and it seems to point at "oversupply" the only thing is that I don't "leak" or have painful, noticeable let downs. ??? my LO poops everyday, several times a day and the poop is yellow, pasty and very seedy. No green stool, no blood, no slimy stools. He also spits up, but not at every feeding. He burps and sometimes gets hiccups, but again its not always.When he latches on, I hear him swallowing, almost chocking, but if I unlatch him, I don't drip and he just cries because I've pulled him off. I don't know what else it could be. allergies???? dairy??? He is gaining wt very good and its alert and sleeps 2-3 hours at night and throughout the day. He does get "fussy" in the evenings and nurses (and/off) for 2-3 hours straight until he falls asleep by 8:30-9:30 pm.

So is this still consider oversupply/forceful letdown, or is it just of those thing that are just are and I need to go with the flow????

I did not have this experience with my previous son, I actually had low supply.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Default Re: somewhat confused

I think you need to go with the flow, and give it time to work itself out.

If you are seeing totally normal stools- no blood, no mucus, no green- then the problem is highly, highly unlikely to be oversupply. But that doesn't rule out fast letdowns, just makes them more unlikely. Sometimes a mom has a normal letdown speed, but her baby is still so young and so weak (relatively speaking) that even a normal letdown feels fast to him and makes him gulp and choke. I would try adopting a reclined nursing position and see if that makes things more comfortable for him. I would not try block feeding at this point, because the yellow poops, lack of leaking, and lack of letdown sensation point to a supply that is probably fairly well-matched to baby's needs.

The evening fussiness is totally normal, as is the occasional spit-up, and the gassiness, too. Some babies are just gassier than others, or are simply more bothered by the workings of their digestion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PP. Nursing reclined was a lifesaver for me with my OALD. It doesn't affect supply, so it doesn't hurt to try. My son was also very gassy and fussy in the evening when he was very tiny. A warm bath at night, bicycling legs, and tummy massage helped us get by until he grew out of it.

Yep, I agree with PP. Babies are gassy and spit up is totally normal. Give it more time to see if he works it out or if symptoms get worse.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Yep, I agree with PP. Babies are gassy and spit up is totally normal.

When I think how many moms are told or think there is something wrong with their milk or how they are feeding thier babies due to the fact that normal and healthy babies have gas & spit up I want to tear my hair out.

Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Thanks to everyone. Yes, it seems the pattern has now changed... He gets fussy and gassy in the morning around 5 am... this will last until 9am. He normally sleeps 3-4 hours at night and feeds for about 20 min. sometimes from one breast, sometimes from both. Then at 5 am he starts getting fuzzy, squirming and spitting up a lot, but he is always looking for the breast, so it becomes a pattern, eating, spitting, eating, spitting and then he finally poops . Big yellow and seedy. I bathe him around 8:30 and place him in the swing where he falls asleep for about 2 hours. I pump after feeding him (going back to work Feb.21) then he wakes up and eats fine. No fussy, no gas, until the evening where we start the cluster feedings. Not sure is this normal?
    My previous son was ALWAYS fussy and hungry. I had low supply and he was a slow wt gainer. This time around my son is gaining appropriately and I am pumping between 1.5-2 ounces from both breast once a day (with my other son it was 1 ounce, and I had to pump several times a day to leave enough milk for him when I went back to work). Again this time around its so much different and confusing in a whole different way
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas