Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What if I stop pumping at 12 months?

Default What if I stop pumping at 12 months?

My son is 9 months old. I work full time and would love to ditch the pump at 12 months (gradually of course). Does anyone have experience with this? Will I still be able to nurse in the morning and evening, or is this going to totally dry up my supply?

Default Re: What if I stop pumping at 12 months?

Lots of moms pump-wean at 12 months, and go on to nurse 1-2 times a day during the week, perhaps somewhat more on the weekends. As long as your baby continues to nurse, you will maintain some supply. Not a huge supply if it's just a couple of times a day, but something!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I stopped pumping at 12 months and nursed my son for 21 months!
    the key is to start gradually to omit engorgement and plugged ducts. I work 3 days a week, 12 hours shifts. I nursed my son morning and throughout the night, we co-sleept and he would nurse every 2 hours at night. on my days off, i nursed on demand(3-5 times) until gradually i weaned off and nursed morning and night.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

I just pump weaned a few weeks ago for my 12 month old baby. I nurse on demand all weekend and all night. I did the same for my first daughter. I know mommal said that you won't have a huge supply if it's just a couple days, and I hate to disagree with her, but Lilah did not really eat solid foods on the weekends for several months after I pump weaned. So she was getting quite a bit from me the three days a week I was with her. And Trixie is eating more solids, but she has been into solids much sooner than Lilah ever was. Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't see a difference in nursing on the weekends pre-pump weaning and post-pump weaning.

Lilah nursed for 25 months and was weaned during my pregnancy with Beatrix. I imagine that Beatrix will nurse at least that long, if not longer.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yep - I pump weaned when my LO were a little more than 1 year old and went on to nurse both until they were more than 2 years old. It takes awhile but your supply does adjust.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks everyone, very reassuring! Baby and I are not ready to stop nursing--but I am so sick of the pump.

Just make sure to take it slow. Dropping one session at a time and continuing if you are uncomfortable.

Way too lazy for formula