Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: almost to ep

Default almost to ep

Think this latest spurt of nursing strike is due to his new fascination with the world & teething. He still nurses at night or occaisionally waking up or going down for a nap. He adamantly REFUSES to nurse while awake. If his teeth hurt he screams & arches his back & tries to wiggle away. If he feels fine he just arches the back & wiggles away. Tried all I can think of. Dark room standing up lying down tricking with bottle. Can't take the bottle away - stupid work & am only home with him overnights every other week. He'll be 4 months Saturday. Also did everything suggested by kellymom on getting baby back to breast. This strike has lasted 6 days so far. I've been pumping & know my supply is regulating but I used to get 6-8oz out of the left & 2-4oz out of the right. Now getting 3-4 from left & .75-1 from the right. Any suggestions?

Default Re: almost to ep

What kind of pump are you using?
    How often are you pumping?
    Are you using breast compressions?

Keep trying
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hang in there, I'm sorry things are so tough. Strikes can disappear without warning, too, just like they start and I hope yours is done soon.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Medela symphony. Changed the membranes on the yellow pieces not on the part to connect the tubing to the pump. For the past week I've been pumping every 2.5 hrs from 10 am - 9pm - his normal awake with naps times. He sleeps for about 2 hrs then up for 1-2 hrs & down for the count around 930-11pm getting up 1-3 times. I am using compressions even warm compress tried hand & a manual & doesn't make much difference. Haven't tried anything for increasing supply - don't want the left to get over excited. The above schedule is when I'm on my work breaks. I work 8 days in a row from 11pm-9 am then off 6 days. The past 3 work cycles we get a strike halfway through but can usually get over them the 2nd day of my break after spending the 1st day in bed just hanging out nursing. When @ work I'll admit I'm a very lazy pumper. I'll pump @ 1130 530 & 830. Sometimes I can get an extra in around 7. I know he's not weaning & my supply is supposed to match what he needs & not twice like I was getting. I weigh him naked before & after nursung sometimes just to check & he's averaging 3-4 oz. I just HATE pumping. & I know I will begrudgingly do it but am not sure I could for 8 more months. The strikes are getting longer & longer & I expect when I go back to work tuesday by my next break he won't even dreamfeed. Thanks for the support!

That is a good pump, from my experience. But going 6 hours at work is really too long to keep up your supply! My LC recommended removing milk at least every 3 hrs to maintain supply and anything less than that is communicating to your body to make less milk.

If I can do it for a year and counting, you can too I HATE pumping. Like with a passion hate. I sometimes thought my having to EP is a punishment for being a BFing snob

6 hours is too long I only go that long overnight, and only once I got my supply well established with the pump.

You also need to consider total time at the pump if you EP. 120 minutes in 24 hours.

I would, honestly, ditch the bottle. There are other ways to feed a baby, and I'd have my caretaker use those. If his sucking needs are not met at the bottle, he might come back to the breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

:Agree with all pp's. You must remove milk from your breast more often to keep up supply. Also, you probably have, but thought I'd throw it out there, have you tried a breastfeeding necklace? Like this http://www.mommynecklaces.com/ ? I know it helped both my LO's. DD2 is 4.5 months. Keep trying and don't give up mama!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If I can do it for a year and counting, you can too I HATE pumping. Like with a passion hate. I sometimes thought my having to EP is a punishment for being a BFing snob
    !!! Man I am a BFing snob too lol it would probably serve me right if I had to EP. Lol you make me laugh.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I don't pump for that long @ work because I am sleeping, hehehe. I could probably wake my lazy butt up I was enjoying it so much! & sometimes he sleeps 6 hrs but more regularly 4. I'm fairly certain I could pump if I had to just not looking forward to it & if I had to I would have to give up the symphony & buy something more likely less effective. Although this past week I got used to it a little more. We've tried just about everything besides the bottle. Cups & spoons end up on his clothes. Can't find a syringe big enough to hold 3 oz. Tried a turkey baster. Even tried a washcloth soaked in milk. Could probably try a straw. If I could get him to stop wriggling & arching his back a toy or necklace may work. He seems to still associated nursing with sleep or relaxing & not keeping his eyes open. Bah - being a negative nelly & self defeating. They are all good ideas & we need to think more outside the normal range of ideas. We can do this. Mostly annoyed because if I didn't have to work I knew we wouldn't have this problem. But I get paid well benefits are good & paid to sleep.

Well, if you are determine to do it you can wake yourself up at work. I used an alarm clock during the night the first 8 mos to wake me up at least every 3 hrs during the night (so if I pumped at 8:30 before my little girl went to bed, my alarm would go off at 11:30 and 2:30 and then at 4:00 I'd get up to pump 3x in an hour 12 min on, 12 off x 3 and then I'd be up for the day). If the syringe works you can refill it, it doesn't need to have 3 oz at that time. You can do it but it will take work. You're capable of doing the work, of course, but you're going to have to keep sticking with it.