Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice cereal and reflux?

Default Rice cereal and reflux?

A2 had been suffering with quite severe reflux for a while now. We just saw her ped again and she suggested that adding some rice cereal (spoon fed) to her diet could possibly help. She is at a loss of what to do next as much as we are. A2 is only barely 5 months and I really didn't want to start any solids at all until AT LEAST 6 months. My ped has the same attitude as I do toward breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding. She only suggested it as a kind of last resort. Does anyone have any experience with this helping their LO? Should I try it?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Rice cereal and reflux?

Have you tried changing your breastfeeding positioning? Using a wedge to lift baby while sleeping?. Considering your babe may be allergic to something in your diet, cow's milk? As a mother it is so hard to see our babe's suffering and so easy to want to do whatever will make them feel better. Sometimes though that solution may be more harmful than good. It really is greatly beneficial to wait until 6 months to offer any solid food. The recommendation to wait at least six months is well founded. In your shoes I'd try other methods and not give rice cereal. In fact for some children that doesn't work, if yours is one of them then you just compromised your ideal and with no success.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I have no advice for you just a

W is one day older than A2, people keep telling me he is ready for solids but I keep saying no. I feel you on wanting to wait. We are probably going to skip rice cereal and go right to the good stuff. Right now I am thinking avocado.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I've heard of rice cereal being a fairly successful treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease. However, I don't know much beyond that. With reflux this severe, in your shoes I would probably ask my pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist before taking any actions with which I was not entirely comfortable. A gastroenterologist should be better equipped to make a more accurate diagnosis of the problem. With a reliable diagnosis, you can take the pediatrician's and gastroenterologist's advice under consideration and do a little more research on your own to help you decide what the best course of action really is under these circumstances.

Have you tried different medications and/or different combinations of medications?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Did you ever look into the side effects of metoclopramide? I thought you felt the reflux was well managed - symptom wise.

I am with Tracie.

I did look into the side effects of metoclopramide and after talking to her ped we took her off of it. I THOUGHT her reflux was well managed as far as spitting up. But I think she still has a lot of the silent reflux. And we think it could be the underlying cause behind her sleeping issues. The ped did give us a referral to a gastrointerologist but its a couple month wait to get in. I wasn't planning on starting solids until 8 months or so. But I may start a bit of cereal at 6 months but no sooner than that. Thanks ladies!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Hi there! I did try rice cereal when my son was 4 months old for his reflux because it made it impossible for him to sleep. The result was disastrous! It caused him to become constipated and very gassy and actually made his reflux and night-wakings WORSE. When I was at my wits end with the whole reflux thing (He would scream 8-9 hours a day) I decided to make a drastic change in my diet and adjust his meds. He was switched to omeprazole (first was on Zanatc) and I began a Total Elimination Diet. Here is a little info on the diet:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...imination-diet

There is also a website with countless of forums for moms of reflux babies...The moms there have been through hell and back and are VERY helpful:
    http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/

I believe the TED can make a huge difference in reflux. It is very hard for a few weeks and requires a lot of preparation and planning but its REALLY worth it. Worst comes to worst you tried your best and know for sure that your diet didnt play a factor. Sometimes even eliminating the top 8 allergens is enough to make things significantly better but a lot of moms find that their babies are allergic to some fruits/veggies as well so the TED might really be worth a try. It takes quite sometimes for dairy proteins and other allergens to be eliminated from your system and subsequently your babies system (3-4 weeks). I would give the whole thing a good 6 weeks before seeing major results. You might even feel better from the diet! Its not a way of life, just a way to determine food sensitivities so you know what to avoid. There are lots of allergen friendly snacks nowadays to make things easier.

Definitely join the forum in the website above because youll get lots of good advice and guidance (and support! Cuz G-d knows we NEED it!)

Good luck and hope things get better

Thank you so much. I'll have to try it. I'm already off all dairy and have been for 3 months now with no noticeable difference and have been off all soy for about a month. I guess we'll see as I keep eliminating!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!