Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on how much milk my 1 YO needs?

Default Re: Advice on how much milk my 1 YO need

I have chosen to keep pumping too, instead of using cows milk. My 18 mos son is up a lot at night nursing. We have moved to not nurse in the 4 hours before I have to get up for work, rest helps make milk too.

In my experience it seems to be that I have to eat a lot of calories, (enough to slightly gain) to keep my supply up. If I start to loose any weight at all my supply tanks. Remember, if you aren't getting REM sleep, then your body is keeping your metabolism up all night.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carmen.arizona View Post
    Remember, if you aren't getting REM sleep, then your body is keeping your metabolism up all night.
    Really? That explains a lot! I eat like crazy too. Thanks for this insight.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

I wanted to chime in because of what could have been a similar experience.

I lost a ton of weight while breastfeeding, and I am a small person to begin with. When DD was nine months, concerned family members thought I looked drained and started telling me so. I was determined to keep giving my baby everything I could, but realized I needed to start making changes as I couldn't afford to keep losing weight. I was already eating as much as I could...

My plan when my daughter turned 1 was to switch day time feedings to cows milk. I couldn't bring myself to do it, though. My husband is vegan and I am allergic to milk, so we don't have cow's milk at home, and I tend to feel it isn't that healthy. If mum can produce milk, why disturb a cow, etc... so I consulted with various people and decided to try relying on solids and water during the work day. I had some frozen BM as back-up, but asked DD's nanny to try not giving her any milk during the day and seeing if she asked for it. We are 3 weeks later, and it has been an amazingly easy transition. About once a week DD had milk from the freezer because she needed it to go to sleep, and I was able to pump what she had drunk when I got home. Otherwise, I have stopped pumping, and I am almost a new woman...

Over the past 2 months I have stopped the weight loss and gained back about 2 pounds. I am still just below my pre-pregnancy weight, but feel fine about it. I feel like I am looking after me now, and I can tell people that.

You really do need to look after yourself. It's as important as anything else, if not more. Baby needs you to be healthy and to have it together. You are an amazing mom to have breastfeed and pumped for this long. I think it's time to think of how to ease your own pressure a little. Whatever works for you, but make sure you are taking care of you!

Sorry this ended up long... love to you

Thumbs up Re: Advice on how much milk my 1 YO need

Mommy2lilah: Thank you so much for posting the link. I read it yesterday and had my husband read it as soon as he came home from work. It helped so much with the discussion of continuing to nurse my 1 year old.
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

Default Re: Advice on how much milk my 1 YO needs?

Wow, I could have written your post myself! I came on here with the same questions, and pretty much the same scenario, except my 13 month old doesn't drink quite as much as your babe when he's with his childcare. As for your supply dropping off, I find if I'm exhausted I'm not eating properly usually, and definitely not drinking enough fluids it seems to have an effect, don't know if this is the case with you? I'm the same at work too, I am a complete basketcase b/c he's waking up so much at night, has been for months now (we co-sleep with him in a sidecar but unfortunately he will only feed lying down around 10% of the time). I get the feeling close to having a breakdown too. This stuff is hard! I'm holding onto the thought that it won't be like this forever, and trying little hints and tips I pick up here and there if I think they work with my comfort level.
    Maybe get a preg test, and have your thyroid and iron levels checked as others have suggested, but maybe try what I think I'm going to do soon here (before I completely go off the rails from sleep deprivation...) and take a day off, send your babe off with the nanny/childcare and sleep. Sleeeeeep. Then get up, sit on the couch with a really good meal, watch bad daytime TV and nap. And remind yourself that you aren't being a bad mum by sending your babe off with childcare while you're at home but you're being a great mum by putting yourself first for a change.
    I just talked with our childcare and she's going to give him water at meals and using the BM for when he's going down for a nap. I know I don't have loads of advice for you but wanted you to know that I'm right there with you, and close to loosing it as well, but we can get through this, we both know we can. Sending you and your babe sleepy vibes!

Default Re: Advice on how much milk my 1 YO needs?

Hello:

Congratulations on pumping for this long. You are incredible!!! My baby is 12.5 months and since 1 I have been giving her some organic whole milk (you can try almond, coconut, rice, soy... if you don't want to give her cow's) and water. It has been working out well and I don't have to worry about pumping enough for her. It has been less stress for me and that really helps with the little sleep. I feel you, I hate pumping plus it is so mentally draining too...

You baby is growing and developing into being able to consume water, other milks and solids. Keep feeding BM when you are together, but give yourself a well deserved break (after this long) and let her have some water during the day.

Congratulations on your effort mama!!!
    First time mom to Little Luisa.