Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often does your LO get sick?

Default How often does your LO get sick?

Hi,

Just curious because my DS is sick.... again! This is probably his 4th cold now. I feel so bad for him, watery eyes, runny nose, congested...which obviously makes nursing harder too.
    He was EBF for 7-8 months and now eats solids about 3 times a day, mostly fruits/veggies, beans, etc.
    I guess I don't know if getting sick this often is normal for a breastfed baby??
    (He's 13 months now).
    Just feeling down too I guess. I thought my baby wasn't supposed to get sick as often.
    Just venting too....thx for reading.
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE

Default Re: How often does your LO get sick?

DD1 EBF and weaned at 17 months. When she was in daycare (from 1 - 2 and change) she got sick CONSTANTLY. It drove me nuts. It was like daycare went to the drop in centre and they all waded around in the cootie pool. Once she was out of daycare? It's been over a year and she's only gotten sick when we've taken her to the drop in centre.

DD2 has only been sick maybe 3 times. 2 of them from the drop in centre and once when she was 5 weeks old and we went to a family function.

I know that BFing is supposed to increase their immunity. I believe it does. I don't think it aligns with how often they get sick, just that they're more equipped to get over it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

We have had a rough month or 2 around here.

He had a cold at like 2.5-3 months. Then nothin till reciently. About 3 weeks ago he got his first ear infection, now the other ear is infected and he has conjuctiveites in both eyes. The doc thinks that the first anti biotic did not clear the first infection.

Between that and the teething Wyatt is a hot mess. Nose running all over the place, fevers, cranky cranky baby. Not fun. Not fun at all. I feel so bad for him.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I think it can really depend on the kid. Although both my boys have been breastfed, DS2 has been sick way more often. Both my kids will get the same illness and DS2 will get it way worse. We got hit with a stomach bug in the area a few weeks ago and DS2 had it for 36 hours and took a few days to start eating normally, and DS1 had it for 6 hours and was eating like nothing happened the next day.

Colds are annoying, but I think it's common for kids to get them often. There are so many bad things out there that babies get (like RSV) that seem to happen to my friends' kids who are not breastfed way more than those that do nurse.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Mine got one cold that didn't last very long last year. This year he has been sick all. winter. long. His colds finally cleared up a week or so ago, but now I think the high pollen count is irritating his sinuses.

It seems a lot of people in my area have been consistently sick this winter, and I wonder if it has something to do with the odd weather we've had this year; but there are a lot of reasons why that could be, so who knows? Regardless, there is a lot of annual variability in abundance and diversity of disease incidence, and it seems like this may have been a particularly bad season, at least around here. Plus, mine is in daycare three days a week and I'm certain that factors into it.

My son at almost 3 still nurses. He got his first fever at 15 months. Then about 6 months later he got roseola. I stay home with him so I think that helps keep a lot of germs at bay. But he has gotten a few minor colds since I started babysitting my niece last September. It sucks, but it happens.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

For us, it depends on how often we get out. She had a very mild cold (didn't even affect her personality or playing, just a little congested) a few days after being with her cousin in November and that's the only time she's been sick in the last year and a half. Her first year though she did have several colds but we were in play groups more often then. She stays home with either me or my husband every day, we go to church, shopping, things like that but she's not necessarily touching things sick kids touch, playing with them, very regularly. She's 2 yrs 8 mos and nurses 3x/day now.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Mine goes to daycare and I feel like she is sick quite a bit. But she seems to be over it pretty quickly and/or more mild than others. Knock on wood. There were two cases of RSV in her classroom and she didn't get it. I think it's inevitable she will catch stuff while she is there but I do think bfing has helped her get over them.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

A1 hardly ever gets sick. She has had 1 ear infection and a handful of colds in all of her 3 years. She was EBF until 6 months when she started solids as well as continuing to breastfeed until 13 months. A2 is 6 months and has already had croup twice and a few colds. And she is still only EBF. I think it depends on the severity of the season too. It's been bad here with colds and flu running rampant. It seems like every week at church A2 picks up something else.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Thank you mommas for the feedback!
    I guess I was just sad he was sick again, since it wasn't too long ago he had a bit of a rough cold. But already this one isn't as bad. Already getting better.
    I guess it really does depend...each baby is different, who they're around, etc.
    He's not at daycare but we do playgroups and mommy & me classes weekly.

I feel better now.

Thx again for your feedback!
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE