Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to double milk supply

Default Re: Need to double milk supply

Mommal knows whereof she speaks. I'd look into renting a hospital grade pump just for the time it takes for you to build your supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the great advice.

As for the pump from the hospital, is there one that I should look for, thats better than the others? The hospital I delivered at had yellow symphony medela pumps, but I just looked online and I saw there are rentals through the web. Any recommendations?

I EPed for a year with a Symphony. It will do the job. I use a Limerick now, but any hospital grade will do. I had great results with an Ameda, but it's not made to pump for 120 minutes a day, which is what an EPing mom needs to put in to develop a good supply.

I would suggest a bottle first, giving an ounce or two, and finishing at the breast. You are way more likely to be able to wean off the bottle once you have a better supply by getting baby to associate feeding with the breast than a bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just wanted to say thanks for the responses but I seem to still be having issues.

I rented the Ameda Elite Hospital grade pump but I dont seem to be getting results and I was wondering if I am doing something wrong

Currently I am BF baby when he gets hungry for about 10-15 minutes each side. After this, I bottle feed about 3-4 ounces. After this, I pump for 15 minutes with the double attachment (so both sides at the same time). I dont see any improvement so far (2 days) and I think I might be having less milk than before.

My question is, does this sound like a good process? Should I just bottle feed then pump instead? I dont want the baby to forget how to BF.. but Im so worried about losing my milk, Im down to under an ounce for pumping both sides

Thanks for any input!

Stop watching the clock when you nurse baby. 10 minutes is not enough. Nurse the baby more. Then pump for 20 minutes every 2-3 hours around the clock.

It takes more than 2 days though. It takes me a week to rebuild supply via a pump.

Try power pumping. Pump 10 minutes, off 10 minutes, and repeat for an hour or two in the evening.

If you are getting an ounce after nursing, that is Ok. It's AFTER nursing. What you pump is NOT an indicator or what baby is getting.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

2 days is still too early to tell if it's increasing your supply. It takes longer than that. I also agree that you should not be nursing for only ten minutes. You should be nursing for as long as baby will nurse. Every time. And then hopefully, as your supply increases, supplementing less and less afterwards.

Definitely don't try to switch entirely to the pump. The baby is more effective than the best pump at getting your milk to let down and increasing your supply. Maximize nursing every chance you get.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

And, following a prior suggestion, you might start with a supplement (or sandwich it btwn bfing) so that you finish at the breast. Ultimately you also want to wean off bottles and pump, too, and finishing at the breast is a good start for that. Also, skin to skin time with baby can be a big help, as can sleeping near eachother. It will come! Just be patient.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I would suggest a bottle first, giving an ounce or two, and finishing at the breast. You are way more likely to be able to wean off the bottle once you have a better supply by getting baby to associate feeding with the breast than a bottle.
    Personally I nursed, bottle fed, nursed. I wanted my baby to associate the breast with slaking hunger and satiation/comfort IYKWIM.

Anything you get after nursing is something your baby didnt ingest. So If you were making 1oz the baby would drink that and you would get drops. Say you doubled it and were making 2oz - baby would drink that and pumping you would just get drops. You would never know you had doubled your supply.

Also I hope you know this, I didn't which is why I am mentioning it. A baby needs 1-1.5 oz of breastmilk per hour. Many moms are making plenty and think they aren't because they are trying to make insane amounts. I could pump 3 oz every two hours when I was at work which was just perfect. But I know formula fed babies who gor 6oz every 2 hrs. I would have thought my supply was terrible if I had been comparing to that.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

UHG I had a long post wrote and it all went away. I hate this pc.

Any way, as hard as it is you have to night pump it is essential to getting your supply up. The night time is when milk producing hormones are at their highest and it will effect your entire days milk supply if you don't.

During the day I would nurse/pump each session, but at night till baby is effecient at nursing and not needing supplementing, I would have DH give baby a bottle and you pump. That way you get a bit more res at night till baby can nurse completely with out supplement. It's just so important to extract milk at night. Between 2 and 6 am especially, if you can at least get one pump session in that would be good, 2 would be even better! Just try to remind yourself it won't be forever, just till you can get baby completely back to breast then you can co-sleep and feed baby directly from breast at night, so much easier then even supplementing at night!

And yes at least a week with a pump. Using only a hand pump all this time, and giving baby so much formula in this time has done a number on your supply so it will take a bit of time to get it to come back up> But, it can be done. Just keep at it.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Have you thought about using a SNS for giving the formula? That way you are still simulating the breast and sending the message that you need more milk to your body. As many of the mama's have said late night/early morning most women have the best supply if you can pump then you will probably get a better output. GOOD LUCK

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-00901S-.../dp/B000NEDGB8
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude