Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refuses a bottle

Default Refuses a bottle

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old daughter, and have recently attempted to re-introduce the bottle since I am back in grad school class once a week and will be returning to work in about a month. She took a bottle when she was first born because we were encouraged to bottle feed in the hospital for jaundice. After coming home, we occasionally gave her a bottle of expressed breastmilk and she took it just fine. I am not sure why now she is refusing. We have tried many different nipples, positions, techniques, cup, dropper, etc. I do not feel comfortable with the method of "starving her out". Any tips that I might have missed? I really don't want to return to work and worry about her being upset all day. And, I forgot to mention, when I give her the bottle, she isn't always upset-- she often simply plays with it with her tongue, but won't suck on it.

Default Re: Refuses a bottle

The issue might be that YOU are giving her a bottle She knows the source is there, and why would she try drinking from this new toy when she could nurse?
    What happens if someone else gives her one and you are nowhere around, like not even in the house?

That was the only way my third would consent to take a bottle. He had to be pretty hungry, and Mom could be nowhere around.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My mom and husband have both tried it a couple of times without me around. She starts out playing with it like it's a game, but eventually gets very fussy. She will not suck on the nipple... I've tried at least five different nipples. My husband has even tried to feed her with a dropper and a tube/syringe. I have tried cup feeding, too.

They might have to wait until she is hungry. I know that sounds hard, but that was the only way we got the third kid to consent to use a bottle. It also didn't happen right away. We had to try every day for a week; I would drop him off at my babysitter's house for a couple hours, she would work with him, and I came back. We did that, and by the time I went back to work (at the time, I worked 10 hours a week, 4 of those n a weekday), he would kind of take it. During my Saturday hours, DH showed up at the hospital a few times for me to nurse baby until he was able to convince the kid to use a bottle. And very quickly, he was off it and using a sippy instead, like at 5 months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mine wouldn't use a bottle. Ever. We got him to use a sippy cup and a straw cup (~6mos), and most recently an open-topped cup (10mos). DH had to do it when LO wasn't really hungry though. Now, he LOVES drinking out of a real cup.

While it didn't work for us, we also had a bottle that also had a "spoon" nipple attachment -- maybe that would work?
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!