Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

I posted the other day but I'm still trying to figure this out. Lo is 3 mths and has been nursing good from the beginning. The last week or so he has to sleep before he eats no matter how long it's been. Ex: this morning he nursed at 4:30 went back to sleep. He woke up at 7am and dh got him because that's the only time I get a shower. So 7:30 I try to feed him and he just screams. I tried a couple more times and same thing. So 8:30 he's tired and sleeps for about 45 minutes. Then when he woke he nursed. I don't get it. Strike maybe? He's a chubby guy and poops/pees a lot but I'm trying to get a longer stretch at night. But something is going on. Any help? Going 5 hours wo eating during the day just baffles me. My older son never did that.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Default Re: Confused

Anyone?

Have you tried offering before he gets hungry? It may be that by the time he lets you know he's hungry he's already frustrated and agitated. It sounds like he eats better when he's calm, like when he just wakes up.

At any rate, I would just keep offering, whatever is going on is sure to change as soon as you get used to it and figure out how to work around it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Or maybe he doesn't feel hunger right then? One of my boys would pitch a fit and a half if I tried to feed him before he was ready.

My current nursling won't eat right when he wakes up. He wants to play a bit, maybe an hour or so, then eat.

Every kid is different
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok thanks. I think stress level probably has something to do with it. It's nuts around here w a 2 yr old. He likes to get in his face while nursing and I yelled at him and it scared both of them. Seems like things have been off since then

Some days I'm having a hard time with it all. Can't even write a full reply. Kids crying.

When my son was born my daughter was just over two. It was a tough time for all of us. It's hard getting used to having 2 those early months and surprisingly difficult to occupy a 2 year old long enough to nurse. My daughter would sometimes consent to snuggle up next to me and let me read her a book. Or I'd give her a special snack that she didn't usually get to eat. And when all else failed Elmo almost always worked.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; January 25th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have four of them at home, and I'm pumping for a baby who can't nurse. We all have off days where we all wonder if we can do this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

He was fine the rest of the day. I just made sure to feed him right after his nap so it ended up being every 2 hours. Some days he catnaps all day. We definately do more tv for ods than I would like but I try to keep it somewhat educational.

It helps to know other moms are out there battling through it all as well. Thanks