Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged ducts

Unhappy Clogged ducts

I've had a few clogged ducts in this breastfeeding adventure, and heat and nursing usually work it out in less than a day, but this time i've had clogged ducts in my right breast for two days and nothing is working! I work part time -while I work I pump every two hours and go home to nurse on lunch break, and while I'm gone my baby drinks my expressed milk- and had to work 3 days in a row, and I went to work a4 hour shift yesterday with it already clogged. Today I've been taking it easy, and my little one has been happy to just lay around nursing all day with me, but it's still clogged! I've tried hot compresses just before she nurses, and massaging the breast downward, but not very well- it hurts! The nipple is getting sore too, I think she is having to work hard to get the milk out. What can I do? I'm worried it'll get infected.

Default Re: Clogged ducts

It may take a day or two or three to work out a really persistent clog. Make sure it isn't a blocked pore at your nipple skin, and keep working on it. I like to take a super hot shower and massage at it. Hurts but it helps.

There is also a product by Wishgarden Herbs called Happy Ducts, and it helps
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

For me, hot showers work, while hot compresses don't do much. Long, hot showers when I massage and hand-express. I have to be ruthless and massage even when it hurts, using the whole side/palm of my hand for even pressure, then alternating with circular motions. I also plunge my breast into a bowl of hot water. And I nurse right after the showers. Once I took three showers in a day with a bad clog. The hand expression in the shower helped a lot to loosen up things so baby can get the plug out more easily.

Make sure your bra and clothing aren't pressing on the clog or nearby.

Pump and nurse very often; pump after nursing (when I had a bad clog I pumped every 1.5 hour with a hospital-grade pump). Even dry-pumping helps.

Sometimes you just have to keep working and working on a bad clog till it comes out.

Keep the area clean, let the water from the shower run (but no soap), wear a fresh bra and shirt everyday, and you'll lessen your chance of infection.

There's a mama here who said that her DH was able to suck a bad clog when baby couldn't. I never tried this so I can't speak from experience.

good luck!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thanks so much, I'll keep working on it! It's better this morning, but not completely gone yet...

I've had them take like a week to clear.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If it is hurting at the nipple you may be getting a milk blister, a pain in the arse but goes away. Your pump flange may be too small? Lechitin supplements may help.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Must be in the air. I have a pesky one that showed up yesterday. It is still there but is much better. Hopefully it will not get worse pumping at work today and DS can clear it tonight.

I found a cute cartoon that made me laugh. I posted it yesterday in the "pumping chit chat" thread. "Super baby... More powerful than an electric breast pump" So true when I feel a clog coming on all I want to do is get in bed with my baby so he can get it out.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

It's gone! That was a bad one (or five, I don't know how many but half of my breast was clogged). Thanks for the advice, ladies!