Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: working

Default working

My lo is almost 12 weeks. i returned to work Jan 3. I was pumping 2x's a day in a 8 hr shift now we r on ot 10 hrs a day and i need to pump 3 times/ Someone else has to do my job when i am gone which is usually about 30 minutes. They seem to be getting tired of letting me go though. IDK what to do. I am BFing for my lo's benifit not mine. Thank goodness for you ladies wish I had more support from others.

Default Re: working

What do you do and where do you live? Are there laws in place where you live that protect you?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

i live in GA USA and work on an assembly line for GE. Also i am terrified of my milk drying up I am working 7 to 5;30 right now but generally work 8 to 4:30. what would be the best times to pump in your opinion?

You need to pump as much as your baby is eating. Some women need to pump more often for less time and others can get away with fewer times but for longer. I always did better with more times because that's how my babies eat. But my bigger concern is you worrying about your job and taking the time. I would look up the laws and see how they protect you and your job. You shouldn't have to worry about how breastfeeding is affecting your job. They are equally important.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

The laws for the state of Georgia say this: ''Ga. Code § 34-1-6*(1999) allows employers to provide daily unpaid break time for a mother to express breast milk for her infant child. Employers*are also required to make a reasonable effort to provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, in close proximity to the workplace for this activity. The employer is not required to provide break time if to do so would unduly disrupt the workplace operations.''

Federal law trumps that and states this: ''President*Obama*signed*the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23 and the*Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872,*on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full*text of*Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152*here.)* Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law*amends the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)*of 1938 (29 U.S. Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable*break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk.*The employer*is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place,*other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk.* If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs*fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements.*The federal requirements*shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees.''

For more information on either:. http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...tate-laws.aspx

My advice is to write a '' letter of intent to pump '' that outlines these laws, where you'll pump, how often you will pump, how long you will pump per session, and how long you plan to pump (protection only up to a year unfortunately). I'd have them sign it and then give you a copy. Have them file it in your HR file. Then no matter how annoyed they get you are protected.

Then seek out support, go to an LLL meeting. When people are making you feel bad you should balance that with people who will make you feel good.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I hear you as I also hate going to pump because it puts extra work on my coworkers. They don't give me any grief but I pride myself on being a hard worker. I work 12 hours shifts and am able to get away with only pumping 3 times for 20-25 minutes. Been doing it this way since I returned to work 5 months ago.

I would just reexamine your schedule to figure out a schedule you are comfortable with and still allow you to meet your baby's needs. Some ideas: pump during your lunch break as someone would have to relieve you anyways, pump while driving to and from work and then hopefully you could just pump twice at work, can you get away with a 20 minute pump session instead of 30 minutes, or just keep taking your 3 30 minute breaks.
    ~DD born 6/7/11
    Successfully and while at work for 1 year. Now we are still till who knows...