Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not enough for tomorrow. :(

Default Re: Not enough for tomorrow. :(

Thanks, everyone!

DH talked to the DCP last night. They were very anxious to help make us happy and agreed to try other methods of soothing him before giving him more bottles. And apparently that took, because I just went down there for his lunchtime nursing session and he's only had two bottles today instead of three, and they said he wasn't really fussy and they held him a bit after his first bottle. So, yay! They also suggested that I look at the daily sheets they write up about his naps and bottles and see if I can find a consistent time to come down in the middle of the day rather than me trying to predict it each day, and just call them to let them know when I plan to come down so they can plan for it. This way they know to expect me and can try and hold off on giving him a bottle just before I get there.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

That's great!

You were all so supportive about this issue for me that I thought I'd post an update. I'm still kinda sorta struggling with pumping enough milk within a day for DS' daycare needs the next day, but it's getting better. We talked to the DCP and they've stopped saying he's always hungry after his bottles and have learned his patterns better so they know how to soothe him after a bottle now. He does, however, tend to go through all his bottles for the day, which right now is about five bottles, each with 3-4 ounces in them (the total milk ounces are usually around 17-19 ounces). I still think he might be eating more than he needs to but I'm not sure if I should try cutting back. He's happy and healthy, it seems (we've got his 6 month check up next week).

I have to pump round the clock to maintain this amount, and although my milk production at work has increased a bit -- I can now get 3 ounces at a pumping session as opposed to the 1.5-2 I was getting a few weeks ago -- I still have to pump in the wee hours of the morning to get enough. DS used to get up 2-3 times a night to nurse but since going full-time into daycare he only wakes up once during the night. My pumping/feeding schedule now looks like this:

7am-ish: feed DS (he only eats on one side, btw), then pump on both sides afterward. Get maybe 1.5-2 oz.
    10am: pump at work. Get about 3-4 ounces.
    12:30pm-ish: go down to DCP nurse DS. Sometimes he's hungry, sometimes he's not. Pump after feeding him and get about 1.5 oz.
    2:30-3ish: pump at work. Get about 3 oz. max
    5:30pm: pump in the car on the way home if DS has recently had a bottle. Otherwise wait til we get home to nurse him around 6:30pm.
    8pm: nurse DS before bed, pump afterwards. Get about 1.5-2 oz.
    12-2am: DS will wake up in this window, nurse him.
    3:30am: pump. Get about 4 oz. Some lucky mornings I've gotten 5 or more, but that hasn't happened in a couple of weeks and in fact I've been struggling lately with even getting to 4 oz. (I usually have to pump 25 min or more).
    7am: wake up, nurse DS., etc.

I was hoping that production would increase enough for me to drop at one of those extra pumping sessions, either the 3:30 am one or the breakfast table one. That just hasn't been the case and I think I'm stuck with this schedule a while longer. I feel like my production hasn't increased much at all and in fact has dipped a bit -- I've had to use bags from the freezer stash twice this week to supplement what I sent to daycare. I'm a bit worried about that. I'm doing breast compressions and pumping for nearly 25 min each session so I can get that second let down. I'm wondering if I'm just a mother who has a supply resistant to increasing (in all of DS' 6 months of life I've never experienced engorgement).

Anyway, if you've been patient enough to read that, I appreciate it and any words of encouragement you have. I feel like I'm staying mostly ahead in the daycare bottle game, but juuuuust barely.

It's hard to keep up, mama. I feel you. Once your baby starts eating some solids, it will hopefully ease up a bit, but a lot of folks I know (myself included) had to work pretty hard from about five months on to make enough milk for the next day.

17-19 oz is a TON of milk. I do think they're overfeeding him. I used to leave about 14-15 oz for my giant chunk of a boy, who was in the 98th percentile for weight and weighed 24 lbs at 6 mo.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

What pump do you have again? I'm sort of wondering if it would be worth renting a Symphony for a month and seeing if it helps you get your supply up.

When I talked with an IBCLC last week, she said sometimes moms get habituated to a pump and their supply drops.

Is AF back?

Are you doing any herbs, oatmeal, etc?

Could talk to a doc about a little dose of domperidone if necessary.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

JoMo: if this sounds like the usual amount of work at this stage then I'm okay with that. Was just worried there wasn't something more I should be doing. On the weekends I maintain the extra pumping sessions, or at least as many as I can (the lunch time one sometimes gets dropped if we're out doing errands but I get all the others in) and that usually gets me a head start on the week.

I've also been sick the last few days, I wonder if that can affect supply? It was the last few days I had to supplement with freezer bags for the first time.

Susan: not sure what AF refers to. I haven't taken any herbs, I think I'll start. I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast everyday. I have a Medela Freestyle pump. That's a good idea to look into renting a Symphony to see if it has any affect, thanks!

Also, milk quantity: yeah, it seems like a LOT. DS is nowhere near a chunker so I'm curious what his weight will be next week at the doc. I've been thinking, now that we've kind of educated the DCP on soothing him outside of a bottle, and now that they know his patterns better, of slyly putting slightly less in the bottles now, something closer to only three ounces per bottle (I send five each day) and seeing if they report him being hungry or start complaining about the amount in the bottles.

AF = "Aunt Flo" or your monthly period. It can temporarily reduce supply and make pumping harder at certain times of the month.

Sickness can definitely lower your supply, usually at least partly because of dehydration (even a head cold makes you lose a lot of fluids). Drink lots of water and take care of yourself!

Yeah, honestly, a lot of women need to do additional pumping sessions outside of work to get the next day's milk. That in itself doesn't alarm me too much. Everyone has their own "storage capacity" and everyone responds to the pump differently.

But I second Susan's suggestion of considering a hospital grade rental pump. It could really help you step it up a notch, as it is way more efficient. I really felt like my body didn't respond as well to the pump after a few months back at work, and it was a constant source of frustration. I had to massage my breasts NONSTOP to get a letdown while pumping, etc. Not relaxing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

If you were sick, that could be why alone.

Try some herbs. Fenugreek and blessed thistle are two to start with. Label dosage is a bit low When I need it, I take 2 capsules each 3-4 times a day.

Definitely look into the hospital grade pump. It might help you. It might not, but it's worth a shot.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

dont know if this was mentioned yet but i really find hand expression at the end of each session to be very helpful overall.

also, pumping in the car was critical for me.