Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not enough for tomorrow. :(

Default Re: Not enough for tomorrow. :(

JoMo, the idea of getting up at 4am to pump is somehow a LOT more palatable than the idea of mixing even one single bottle of formula. I had no idea when I started breastfeeding that I would become this resistant to using it. It's almost visceral. It feels silly, but that's the truth.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Morning pumping sessions yield more milk than any other time of day. I think that about 4 ounces is the max you should ever put in a breastfed baby's bottle. More frequent feedings with less milk is better.

Juno, I can nurse him in the morning before we leave for daycare. Can't really do it when I drop him off but I don't usually nurse him in the morning before we leave (he eats around 6-6:30 and then doesn't need to eat before we leave around 7:30) but we can sneak an extra nursing session in before we leave.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips so far. It's helping to ease my anxiety a little bit.

Also, if your baby has never had formula, he may reject it. I agree, avoid it if you can.

Also, I pump during breakfast before we leave for daycare in the morning, and I put that bottle in the fridge at home for NEXT day's daycare as a way to get ahead. I can probably slip that one into tomorrow's supply if it's really needed, and then hope my supply can catch up with all the extra pumping and nursing to make up for being a bottle behind.

Juno: we actually "had" to supplement during his first week of life (quotes because that's what the hospital told us since he was very dehydrated and I was having supply issues, but looking back we probably didn't have to do that). So he's had it before but he's 5 months now and I'm sure his tastes are different. Also, he has a dairy allergy so I'd have to find some non-dairy formula. I guess they make such a thing? I don't even know, haha!

Yeah, I'm sure the extra demand for milk will up your supply. Drink lots of water!

Yeah, I'd try to bust out a couple more pumping sessions tonight, honestly.

Even in the worst case - if you do have to supplement with formula tomorrow, you can recover from this! Bump up your pumping schedule IMMEDIATELY. It's worth a little lost sleep - it's only temporary, to replenish your stash.

And, have that FIRM talk with your DCP.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

to be honest... I mean you are feeding him at lunch and he is only gone 9 hours... I should be TOTALLY fine with 9 oz in 3 bottles. The DCP is way over feeding him. Just don't give them anything else and make them deal with it. Your baby won't starve. I would say, with nursing him at lunch, the most he should need is four 3oz bottles.

GL!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Hellchick View Post
    JoMo, the idea of getting up at 4am to pump is somehow a LOT more palatable than the idea of mixing even one single bottle of formula. I had no idea when I started breastfeeding that I would become this resistant to using it. It's almost visceral. It feels silly, but that's the truth.
    Oh, gosh, I TOTALLY get it! It's not just formula, it's like, symbolic or something. I was the same way.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.