Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not enough for tomorrow. :(

Default Not enough for tomorrow. :(

Hello ladies,

I've been working very, very hard to increase my milk supply for DS' daycare needs - in addition to nursing him on demand when I'm with him (he also does not STTN yet) I pump extra in the morning, extra after he goes to bed at night, and extra sessions on the weekends. I'm also eating oatmeal every morning.

By my calculations with the guidelines given, he should need about 14 ounces for the day. For a while I was only able to fill about 5 bottles with 2 ounces each. Then with extra pumping I managed to finally get it to 3 ounces per bottle, which should be enough for him. Then last week I finally got a day where a couple of the bottles were 4 ounces. Perfect!

After a major setback this weekend in which we lost power for nearly a week and had to stay with various relatives and having our freezer supply thaw, I pumped today and only have three bottles of 2 ounces each. I'm going to pump tonight after DS goes to bed but history tells me that will only net me one additional ounce.

I'm frantic. He will not have enough food for tomorrow. I don't know what to do. Get up in the middle of the night and pump and hope to god it's enough? The DCP casually said to "just send formula" and DH told them that in no way are we doing that (part of our problem is that the DCP is overfeeding DS despite our talks with them -- DH is attempting to resolve that tomorrow, but in the meantime it means that the "extra" bottle I should be getting each day is being consumed, putting me behind).
    I don't know what to do. I'm so discouraged. I refuse to use formula, but my baby can't starve at daycare. I feel like I'm going to have to go to the store tonight and get formula, and just the idea of doing so has me tearing up. Please give me some advice on what I can do here. I'm doing breast compressions (they don't seem to be helping), I'm eating oatmeal...I don't know what else to do.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Not enough for tomorrow. :(

Oh, for further information: I have a Medela freestyle double pump, and the membranes are new. I've also tried different sizes of pump shields. So I'm reasonably sure that's not hindering me.

How many hours are you away? If the problem is over feeding, then your baby will not starve. Feed as much as you can before leaving for work. Have a VERY stern talk with DCP. Nurse ASAP when LO gets back to you.

Also, if you can get LO to nurse more frequently tonight, you may not have to worry about how much you send tomorrow.

Hi Juno:

I'm away 9 hours, but I go down at lunch and nurse him in the middle of the day. So my generous calculations (since that nursing session may or may not happen depending on if I get there and he's napping) say that 9 hours X 1.5 ounces = 13.5 ounces. So for a while I was getting about 3 ounces or close to it in five bottles, and so 15 ounces was just barely making it.

DH just sent the DCP administration an email asking about how we can resolve this situation with overfeeding, since the actual caregivers don't seem to be listening to him (he's the one who drops off DS and talks to them each morning).

My main concern isn't that we can't resolve the situation (we really like our DCP, we just have to figure out how to get them to stop overfeeding him), it's that right now, I don't have enough food for him tomorrow. A very immediate thing I need to resolve, and I don't know how except to go and get some formula.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Also, if you can get LO to nurse more frequently tonight, you may not have to worry about how much you send tomorrow.
    Hmm, maybe I can get him to nurse an extra session. He goes to bed at 8 and tends to eat at 11pm, then around 2pm, and then tends to wake up around 6. Some nights he'll want an extra feeding in there around 4, but not every night.

How much do you have to send at this moment?

My highest supply times were always middle of the night/early hours of the morning. So I probably would set an alarm and pump at 4 a.m. or so (the time is flexible - basically, a couple hours before you would normally get up). This will suck, don't get me wrong, but desperate times call for desperate measures. You can always stop on the way to DC to pick up formula, but just a few more ounces, and you'll be where you need to be, so I think you can pull this off! With the absence of your freezer stash, I would probably do this for a few days at least to try to build up some of what you've lost. And maybe add in another evening session that you do every day at the same time - that may net you only an ounce at first, but if you do it every day, that number should go up a bit.

Sorry, this situation sucks! I'm really sorry.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I only have three bottles with 2 ounces each in them. I SHOULD have at least three ounces in each of those bottles, maybe even more, but somehow my supply took a nosedive or something in the last day or two (we had a massive storm this weekend in the Pacific NW and we lived in the hardest-hit area -- our power was out for nearly a week, my freezer supply thawed, and with the moving around to stay at different places my usual extra pumping sessions didn't always happen, and I wasn't able to eat the oatmeal I'd been eating every morning).

I'll be pumping again around 8:30 pm, but that pumping session almost never yields more than 1 ounce.

The calculation should be for 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour away from mother. So, of you can get 9 ounces, that puts you on the low end. If you can send him full, that would be ideal. Maybe nurse him more tonight, nurse him in the morn and then when you drop him off, before you leave him. Is that possible?