Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll never do it another way!!

Default I'll never do it another way!!

Can I just say I love baby-led weaning (baby-led solids)!!! I had never heard of this before visiting this forum and other breastfeeding sites and am SOOOOO happy I did! My DS is doing excellent at 8 months- sometimes I think he eats too much, but I try to let him lead. He still nurses almost just as often, but I'm not sure that he takes in as much.

He eats pretty much whatever I give him- doesn't seem to be picky at all. Which is great because I'm very picky and I didn't want that for him. My mom actually wrote in my baby book at 12 months that the doctor told her to stop accommodating my picky eating! So I know it starts young! A friend of mine who didn't do BLW has a one year old that won't eat anything besides purees and some Gerber snacks. I think I have her convinced to try BLW with her next one that's due soon.

My mom thought I was crazy when I first told her about it but now likes to show off her grandson's amazing eating skills! It's so nice when we go out to eat at a restaurant or someones house that we can enjoy the meal and not have to spoon feed him. We just give him some food (safe and appropriate foods) and all eat together. I just have to be prepared to clean up the restaurant floors!!

Anyway- just wanted to encourage any moms out there who are starting solids soon to read up on it and give it a try!!

Default Re: I'll never do it another way!!

I'm glad it's going so well for you. And remember to (try) to embrace the mess.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momtodom09 View Post
    And remember to (try) to embrace the mess.
    I am a neat freak, so it's been a challenge! Actually I am so glad we have two dogs! They patiently watch him while he's eating and then "help" me clean up the floor (and the high chair, and him!). I caught one of them licking a mushy cheerio off of his pants today! Of course now DS has learned it's fun to feed them.

I love this post soooo much

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sksmom View Post
    Of course now DS has learned it's fun to feed them.
    Ohhh just wait. Our dog was eating off my son's fork tonite and he thought it was HILARIOUS (my back was turned away just for a moment!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Ohhh just wait. Our dog was eating off my son's fork tonite and he thought it was HILARIOUS (my back was turned away just for a moment!)
    I'm sure I have lots of dog feeding in our future! I think one of them was fed a graham cracker tonight, or my son is getting to be a fast eater!!

My mom was the same way! All freaked out at first and within a couple months bragging to her friends about how her granddaughter ate like a grownup.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have to agree that BLS is awesome. It's just so much easier and more interesting for baby. I hadn't thought much about the "pickiness" aspect but there is a correlation in my kids on that issue too - DS was fed very traditional baby and toddler foods and is still pretty picky, especially about combination foods and different textures. DD1 was fed purees but transitioned to regular table food earlier and she is kind of middle of the road for pickiness. We did BLS with DD2 and she is not picky at all! Now like I said, it's just a correlation. I wonder if DD3 will be the same way since we plan on doing BLS with her too. I am almost having enough kids to make my sample size statistically significant.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molly.b View Post
    I am almost having enough kids to make my sample size statistically significant.
    You could just keep having them and do a study, then publish it!!

I did DD traditionally--purees from a jar. DS1 would not eat baby food and our ped at the time (we moved away--I miss her) said that she saw that in some of her breast fed patients--especially if their mom was Middle Eastern or Indian. She figured that their mom's breast milk was more "seasoned" and baby food seemed bland. She told me to go ahead and feed him table food and he wanted to feed himself. In other words, he made us do BLS without us know what it was!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

So by baby led weaning how what foods did you start out with?