Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever pumped milk for a friend?

Default Anybody ever pumped milk for a friend?

I have a coworker (another nurse I work with) who struggles with supply issues. We work 12 hr shifts and she is only able to pump about 5 oz per shift, and her daughter eats about 12 oz during the day. She has no backup milk stash. When she is at home with her daughter (her daughter is 6 months) her daughter nurses and has no issues with not getting enough. She has been supplementing with Nutramigen, an expensive stinky formula for babies with intolerance to cows milk based formula, and its main ingredient is CORN SYRUP!!! My friend saw that and freaked.. but her daughter has intolerance to all other formulas.
    I am still nursing my 2 year old and he doesnt drink expressed milk from cups very well so I started giving my milk to her for her daughter. I only pump once a day, but I am gone for THE WHOLE DAY. Like, from 5-6am to 9pm. He usually nurses many times during the day and night, (he is a mommymilkaholic lol) so I get pretty uncomfortable if I don't sneak in that once a day pumping session.

Anyways, she is SOO grateful for the milk I am giving to her for daughter, and I feel really good about it too. i usually pump out like 6 oz during that one pumping session so its just about right to fill in her milk needs-gap!

I don't feel like I can talk about this to just anyone loL!!!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Default Re: Anybody ever pumped milk for a frien

i think you are doing a great thing. i have not done it but i did offer to if a friend needed.

my only concern would be if i were receiving milk i would want to know that person well and know they were not doing anything unsafe.

What a fabulous thing you are doing! Seriously. If only we all had friends like you. I haven't pumped or nursed another baby, but not because I won't. The opportunity has never come up, most of my friends use formula. I would happily do it though. And have offered.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Way to go, mama. I think it's wonderful of you to be doing this for your friend. I pumped once for a friend's little guy (our boys are the same age). He had to go for an MRI and couldn't have anything but breastmilk after midnight. At that point, he had quit nursing (but he was still young - maybe 13 months or so), so she asked me if I could pump a bottle for him and I was happy to! When I gave her the milk (at our playgroup), she put it in the fridge and we were horrified to find out that one of the other moms was going on and on about how disgusting it was to have breastmilk in the fridge, and threw it in the garbage! My friend dug it out though. It was well sealed, and just on top of the pile. So I can understand how you feel like other people don't get it because well, lots of them just don't.

Anyway, I think it's great.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

thew out the breastmilk?!?! i would have attacked her!

I almost did. And when she threw it in the trash she was holding it by the very tip of the corner of the bag, like it was poisonous or something.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Oh it would have taken all my power not to smack her. Dont mess with my liquid gold.

I have donated to friend of a friend. Her daughter was in the NICU and it took 6 days for her milk to come in. I gave her something like 20 ounces.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I gave milk to my friend who, despite doing everything right, just was never able to produce enough milk for her baby (she worked so hard at it, and continued using the SNS, etc., until her baby was ten months old!). I know that this type of informal milk exchange is not endorsed by LLL, etc. We know each other well, and she received donations from me and one other mom friend.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think its awesome you did that!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Way to go! What a special thing to be able to do for another family.

I didn't pump for friends, but I shared all of my frozen milk with other mamas after lincoln passed and they were each SO very grateul. It feels good to help out!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!