Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laid back nursing and calming a newborn?

Default Re: Laid back nursing and calming a newb

Thank you for the tip. I'll try that next time as well.

I've been meaning to update but have had lots of problems logging in. :-/
    Really happy to say that at his one month weigh in, my baby was 4.4 kg, which moves him from the 25% percentile at 2 weeks to the 50th percentile! (We're chinese so he's being measured against asian baby growth charts I guess.) Everyone comments on how big he looks for a one month baby and he's getting chubby thighs and more than a double chin.

It's really helped to start feeding him once I see his nursing cues, though he occasionally still has his panic attack if he can't latch on quickly enough. Oh yes, and he does love to comfort suck, and I've learned to tell the difference between that and him actually eating.

So thank you again ladies for all your support, encouragement and advice!

Good news, cliffey, sounds like you and baby are doing great. I just wanted to add that what you reported about the latch not 'looking' like the latch you saw when using other holds is consistent with what many moms experience with laid back positioning. I had the good fortune of hearing Suzanne Colson (who researched and defined 'laid back') lecture, and her findings are fascinating. Basically she found that insisting on a "deep" or "assymetric" latch is not appropriate for all babies and particularly may be irrelevant when mom is nursing in a laid back position, where gravity is helping baby stay on the breast, rather than working to pull baby off the breast, as happens in positions where mom is sitting straight upright or hunched over. She said some babies even "nipple nurse" and as long as baby is getting enough and it does not hurt mom it is totally fine.