Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laid back nursing and calming a newborn?

Default Laid back nursing and calming a newborn?

I'm currently feeding my son using laid back nursing and it feels so different to the other holds. LO's latch and sucking seem so gentle and his mouth doesn't look as wide open as with the more standard holds I've tried. Is this a common experience or could there be a latching problem? He seems quite satisfied after each feed (passes out cold ).

He also tends to suckle and snooze a lot in this position... does anyone have tips for keeping him awake? I actually really enjoy laid back nursing, but night time feeding can go on for quite a while with the slower pace.

And finally, my lo is a bit of a panic eater... he's fine once he's on the breast, but beforehand he will flail around and pant and bob his head madly trying to find the nipple and latch on. How can I help him to calm down a little, or will he gain more confidence in time? He's only 10 days old at this stage.

Thanks for any help and also for reading my essay!
    Last edited by @llli*cliffey; January 24th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Default Re: Laid back nursing and calming a newb

Everything you describe sounds totally normal to me. The flailing before eating is totally normal. Right now his only instinct is food so it's no wonder he goes into a panic. He might calm down and he might not. My son is 16 months old and he can still get a bit frantic when he wants to nurse and it takes me too long to get the boob out

What you are experiencing at night is probably more of a comfort suck than actually about food. A newborn baby has a great need for sucking and will continue to stay latched as long as you allow even when he is not eating. As for keeping him awake, does he need to be kept awake? Is his weight gain slow? It's hard work being a baby and sometimes they need to take little breaks. Sometimes just pulling your nipple out of his mouth will be enough to wake him and get him back to business. Some other things women do is to undress the baby, tickle the bottoms of the baby's feet or change positions.

You ask about latch. Are you basing this on looks or are your nipples sore? I say if he's gaining well, you aren't in any unusual pain (a little is totally normal) or you see nipple trauma then don't stress it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

A latch that feels good almost always is good, no matter what it looks like. As long as baby is having adequate wet and poopy diapers, that is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's reassuring to hear that your 16 month old can still get frantic! I've only seen peacefully bfing babies so far--nobody shows the ones who panic and turn tomato red while trying to find the nipple!

With keeping him awake, it's mainly for my benefit at night, so that I can get some sleep in before his next feed. I'm also being a worried ftm because he lost 9% of his body weight within 5 days of being born and I'd love to bring his weight back up... and I have to wait until the next visit to our medical clinic before his next weigh in. Having him drink lustily for the full feeding session would give me better peace of mind until then. I'll try to relax--he's producing plenty of poopy and wet diapers so really he should be okay.

I'm basing the latch on how it looks. It looks similar to the ineffective feeding he was doing (when I was using other holds) before his weight drop. However, the difference is that my nipples don't hurt now, but they did before when he was really clamping on the nipple itself, not the areola. Now he seems to have taken a bit more of the areola into his mouth, my nipples don't hurt, but he doesn't have the wide gape I've seen in lots of photos/videos of babies demonstrating the correct latch.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cliffey View Post
    It's reassuring to hear that your 16 month old can still get frantic! I've only seen peacefully bfing babies so far--nobody shows the ones who panic and turn tomato red while trying to find the nipple!

With keeping him awake, it's mainly for my benefit at night, so that I can get some sleep in before his next feed. I'm also being a worried ftm because he lost 9% of his body weight within 5 days of being born and I'd love to bring his weight back up... and I have to wait until the next visit to our medical clinic before his next weigh in. Having him drink lustily for the full feeding session would give me better peace of mind until then. I'll try to relax--he's producing plenty of poopy and wet diapers so really he should be okay.

I'm basing the latch on how it looks. It looks similar to the ineffective feeding he was doing (when I was using other holds) before his weight drop. However, the difference is that my nipples don't hurt now, but they did before when he was really clamping on the nipple itself, not the areola. Now he seems to have taken a bit more of the areola into his mouth, my nipples don't hurt, but he doesn't have the wide gape I've seen in lots of photos/videos of babies demonstrating the correct latch.
    Everyone is so different. You can stop looking at the videos now.

As for the bolded. I have actually been scared at times when he comes at me like a hungry shark and I'm further away than he wanted. He grabs hold of my boob with two hands, his eyes all wide and frantic and if I listen closely I can hear zombie like grunting.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

And thanks mommal for the reassurance.

Lol at the zombie-like grunting! Now I know what I have to look forward to...

Have you tried getting your LO to latch on before he's really hungry? Sometimes you can get baby when he's just a little hungry, still pretty calm, and not yet screaming in full-fledged freakout mode. Not always, and not with all babies- some kids go from zero to sixty in a matter of microseconds.

If you're concerned about your LO's weight, call your pediatrician. Often they will let you stop by for a free weight check. It's not really any skin off their nose- just pop baby on a scale, and done.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

That's a good idea about the pediactrician. I'll ask if they are willing.

Mine is a zero to sixty baby--the moment I get him onto my chest he is already bobbing away like a crazy chicken! It's really kind of cute if I put my worries aside.

If the chicken-like head bobbing is interfering with your ability to latch him on, you might try offering him your pinky finger to suck. (Hold nail down toward tongue, instead of up towards sensitive roof of mouth.) Sometimes that calms baby down enough to enable a more relaxed latching experience.