Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessing: Please help

Default Obsessing: Please help

I keep posting about this, but I'm really nervous and concerned, and it's affecting a lot of my life right now.

Baby will NOT nurse if there is too much noise in the house. And to him, too much noise could be the dog walking through the kitchen. It is unfair (and virtually impossible) to make DH and DD be MOTIONLESS and SILENT while they try to get ready for school/work.

I thought I'd found the solution by nursing DS as SOON as he woke up after any time of sleeping. Today, yet again, it was like the radar was on, and he KNEW they were "out there" eating breakfast. Of course, the dog was moving around in the kitchen, so DS was having NOTHING of the boob.

I'm frustrated b/c I want to go as long as I can with this, but he's not making it easy. So, here's what I did:

I tried 2 more times. Once after DH left for work - wouldn't nurse. Once after I got back from taking DD to school - wouldn't nurse (like, bucked off, etc.).

Because this has been an issue, I have some EBM in the fridge. I got that to room temp for him and put it in a cup (I'm thinking at 8 months, he shouldn't do a bottle??). He drank SOME of it, but mostly played with and chewed the cup. I gave him one cracker so I could move around the kitchen and get things done. I gave him MAYBE 5 small spoons of yogurt.

Then, I offered again. Wouldn't nurse. So, I followed the advice I'd gotten here and went to pump. He played on the floor for a while, and as soon as my letdown started, I turned off the pump, picked up DS, and tried to nurse him. He took a couple of "swigs," and then was done. Wouldn't even attempt the other side. I tried again - and NOPE.

So, I pumped some more (got 2oz each side), and then even offered AGAIN. He said NOPE.

We played a bit, and when he was ready to go to bed for a nap, I offered AGAIN. He emphatically and quite angrily said NO.

He's asleep now. I will offer and most likely nurse him when he wakes.

Anyone see a mistake I'm making? I'm open to anything. I'm willing to try, try, try. We've been really successful the last couple of days...

My DD was down to 3 total nursings at this age, so I'm baffled. I'm home and available, so I'm trying my best to give him as much as I can.

Sorry for the long post.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Obsessing: Please help

How long has this been going on? What is his diaper output like? I think maybe you are stressing a little bit and shouldn't. They all go through ups and downs in nursing. My son has had days that he isn't interested in nursing and will do so maybe 3 times and other days that he's at me non-stop and will nurse like 15 times. I think you should relax and follow his cues. Watch his diapers - be sure he's not dehydrating - and let him lead the way. Offer, but don't get stressed or try and force. That might only turn him off. It doesn't sound like a complete nursing strike, but I know how frustrating they can be. Try and stay calm mama. He can sense it and it won't help either of you.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

This has been about 2 weeks or so...give or take. I've been shushing my family for some time.

And solids? Did I do the right thing? I know he'll nurse if he's hungry, but he's crawling to and pulling up on his high chair and moaning - tells me he wants some food, ya know?

So he hasn't nursed at all in 2 weeks or just sporadically? It sounds like he's active and interested in other things. Typically if you pull back on solids you would think they would nurse more, but in my own opinion I say give him what he's looking for. Solids seem to be something new and interesting to him. Maybe keep trying the milk in a cup, since you should still pump to keep your supply up. And keep offering the breast.

He nurses when waking from a nap most of the time and still 1 or 2x a night. There are only SOME instances when he refuses to nurse: like, this morning when there was noise and right before bed if he's too exhausted and the milk is flowing for him fast enough.

I don't offer a lot of solids - really. Just a little so he is playing with/experimenting. Nothing like I did with my DD.

You have made me feel infinitely better. Thank you!

Oh, and diapers are WAY normal. Lots of pee. At least one dirty a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    Oh, and diapers are WAY normal. Lots of pee. At least one dirty a day or two.
    Then chances are he's getting more in those short spurts than you realize. They are so much easier when they are babies and just eat sleep and poop!

Very very normal. My son is pretty distractible even at 12 months (I am telling my 3 other kids to be quiet so he can nurse without popping off all the time!) but at 8 months he would only nurse in a quiet room. ANd only SIDE LYING. You can imagine the trouble that was. All summer long when we were out and about I had to unroll blankets at parks and such to get him fed. His NIP refusal would mean he'd go 6 hours without nursing sometimes during the day. And then he'd nurse all night! He nurses at least 10 times in 24 hours at this point. Somewhere around 10-11 months he started nursing for me sitting up! AWESOME! And now he'll nurse on the couch. In the living room! It's like freedom, lol.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

No joke about the easier thing. He is all about moving around the house (our house is sort of like a circle, and we just did the circuit three times). He nursed after waking from his nap - but it was an early wakening. So, he's back in his crib resting a bit because he was fussy.

I'm honestly trying to go with the flow here - really and truly. My ultimate goal is 12 months. If I can get that far, I will feel awesome. Made it 13 with DD before she decided she was done (we were only down to bedtime at that point).

I know that it will pass - I PRAY that it will pass.

Thanks again for all your support.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    I know that it will pass - I PRAY that it will pass.
    With few exceptions, it DOES usually pass. Usually around the first birthday. And then you're wondering how the heck you're going to get this nursing lump OFF YOUR LAP for five seconds so that you can use the bathroom. At least, that was my experience - distractibility to the point of barely nursing one day morphs into cling-monkey refuses to leave my lap. It's always something.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.