Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I give up on breast feeding?

Default Re: Should I give up on breast feeding?

Out of curiosity, how and where did you get the nasal spray? I have told my local mom she should try that -- she has refused domperidone at this time -- as part of her issue also seems to be a lack of letdown. She asked her doctor about it and was told it is not available. I would love to give her more information on it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Out of curiosity, how and where did you get the nasal spray? I have told my local mom she should try that -- she has refused domperidone at this time -- as part of her issue also seems to be a lack of letdown. She asked her doctor about it and was told it is not available. I would love to give her more information on it.
    I got lucky because my LC works with a lactation-friendly doctor who prescribes it. I definitely could not have gotten it from my doctor. I had to order it from a compounding pharmacy. I just paid her doctor out of pocket for that appointment. I have spent SOOO much $$ trying to get this milk thing down.

And I have used an SNS, which I did for the first 4 weeks, but it was jsut too frustrating for me and baby.

Awesome. I will look into it then for my friend.

If the SNS was too fiddly, I would always, always, always end a feeding at the breast. Always. Feed the supplement and then change over when baby isn't starving. If baby needs more, baby needs more, top up, and then nurse again. This is to avoid nipple/flow preference. And if you stop pumping, you stop pumping. Baby is better than a pump anyway This is one place my local mom doesn't get it..she is hung up on how much she pumps and is freaking out because she only got X ml. After nursing. I keep telling her it's not normal to be like me to pump 8 oz in one sitting!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was wondering if you tried a nipple shield? I have flat-ish nipples too and it saved my nursing relationship!
    July 27 2011

I have no advice, just hugs and encouragement. Whatever you choose to do, you have given your baby what you could do, and nobody could find fault with your dedication. Good luck!

Mama,
    Any milk is better than no milk. If you can nurse/pump to provide your little one with something that is OK. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I nurse/pump but also supplement. And I am so proud of myself for doing that. You should be too.
    And if you want to stop, that is OK too. It is hard work and sometimes you may need to stop for your own sanity. Whatever you choose you will find support here.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months