Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething=gassiness?

Default Teething=gassiness?

So I guess tonight's the night for teething questions for me. Is it just my imagination, or does my DD's gas stink waaaay worse when she's teething? Anyone notice this with their LO's? She seems more gassy in general, which I noticed with the last round of teething as well, in retrospect. She is just so darn restless at night, and after last night, (which was particularly bad) I'm not looking forward to going to bed. I've tried giving her more space in the bed, thinking maybe she's getting to an age where she wants her own space, and maybe that was why she was getting restless. Silly me. She of course protested. Well, kind of. I had a couple 2 hour stints last week with her not touching me, but it was an isolated event. Nope, she prefers much more to be right up next to me, rubbing her little head around and wriggling her gassy little body about, farting and smelling up the place. Poor DD, she is just one hot mess, and I'm just at my wit's end with how to help her. Pumping her legs helps the most. That is, when she's not stiffening up her entire body, resisting my thoughtful acts of kindness in the middle of the freakin' night.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: Teething=gassiness?

I just have to comment that this post cracks me up because this has been me for the past couple weeks since my 6 month old started teething baaaad. I was alson wondering if it could be something in my diet but I always avoid the stuff that bothers him (Dairy and Soy) but the past week, since his teething got INTENSE, he has been tootin smelly farts and it seems worse at night! We used to cosleep but I moved him into a crib a month ago and he was sleeping great until this teething madness and wakes so frequently...sometimes once an hour in obvious discomfort, but usually goes back to sleep. Im EXHAUSTED and considering moving him back to my bed, although he is the type to need his own space lol...

Teething causes excess saliva which makes for a more acidic (and upset) tummy. Also reason for increase in diaper rash while teething.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

OK so let me just start with the fact that ie make me laugh that you said she is a hot mess!! I just love that.

Wow 2+2 really does equal 4. W has been teething and farting up a storm. I have been trying to figure out what I ate for like 2 days. This makes total sense, I think that we checked him for poo a half a dozen times yesterday due to the stinky butt.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Klisti-me too, except I am ECing as well...ECing is not fun anymore---I keep putting her on the potty like a poop-crazed woman. I, too was wondering about my diet, but seeing as I am still hungry all. the. time. I'm glad to know that I don't necessarily have to worry about cutting out anything.

That makes a LOT of sense about the saliva....she never drools, so she's probably swallowing it all, poor girl. Last night was a particularly stinky evening. Lord help me! ha!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

i remember my guy being very gassy and generally unbearable while teething. I would wait til that's done to consider eliminating anything since you really wont be able to tell what the improvements are from.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it