Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Contaminated milk?

Question Help! Contaminated milk?

Hello. I am a new member and mother of an 8 week old. I have been exclusively BF and pumping one to two times per day to have back up for when I return to work on Tuesday, 1/24/12. I have approx. 50 oz frozen at this time. I have just learned that we have a mouse/mice in our home and found droppings yesterday in the bottom of the drying rack where I dry all my pump supplies after sanitizing them. Therefore I am concluding a mouse has crawled all over my breast shields, valves, etc. and then I have used them for the past 4 weeks. I have no idea how long the droppings have been there. I have read online that mice can carry germs, viruses etc. that can be deadly. My question is should I throw out all of my stored milk due to possible contamination? Problem is that I am not sure I will have enough milk to send to day care Tuesday for the whole day if I dump it all. Or does freezing the milk kill germs, viruses? If not can I boil the milk to decontaminate? Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Help! Contaminated milk?

Wow that is a tough one. I don't know about the mouse part but maybe I can help with pumping enough for Tuesday. How long will you be gone? Standard day? How much milk do you have right now that you are sure is ok? When do you pump? If it were me, I would want 12 oz, I'd send 4 bottles of 3 oz each but I could get by with 3 bottles of 3 oz if necessary. I would pump after every possible feeding and pump about 2 hours after baby goes down for the longest stretch she sleeps with any predictability. With 2.5 dats you can make it up I think.

Thought on that?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

that is a tough one. if it were me i think i would get rid of any milk i suspected was contaminated. i am overly cautious in general. depending on the type of virus or bacteria, many can live at freezing temps. i don't know about heat killing them. since you dont know what could be in the milk you cant tell what temp would be appropriate or if it would even work.

if you do not have enough for tuesday, could you add in a bunch of sessions until tuesday just to get enough for that day? it sucks. it does.

if you want to make sure the baby still gets only breastmilk would personally pump after i nursed and anytime there was a stretch where my lo did not nurse. probably right after the first nursing session, right before i went to bed, and even wake up at 3 am for a pump. how much would you need? i think you could do it before tuesday

if really do not know if the milk has been contaminated i would not risk it. mice droppings can be quite dangerous as far as i know.

Thank you for your responses. I think I will pump as often as I can. I should be able to pump enough or should at least be close. I was planning on leaving 5 bottles, 4 oz each, to be on the safe side. I could probably go with four bottles. I will be gone from 730 am until 5 pm. I only have 3.5 oz that I know is safe..so 16.5 oz to go. As far as the frozen milk goes, it looks like I will likely dump it to be safe. I hate to but know that I need to do what best for my baby.

Mama, maybe don't dump it? Just throw it in the back of the freezer. If you never need it, great. If you run short, then you may have a tough decision to make. If you want to use it, I would think that scalding the milk would be sufficient to kill anything in it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok my opinion for you to take or leave is that that is a HUGE amount of milk for a baby that young. My One year old drinks 4 oz at a time but not always. The general rule is that baby drinks 1-1.5 oz for every hour apart from mom. That size bottle will encourage wasting milk (which is heartbreaking! ). And overfeeding...all those bottles can also lead to overfeeding baby unless DCP is very good at reading feeding cues in a BF baby.

That's just my experience

Also why not save the mouse milk for now until you get some solid evidence on if it's usable or not. It would be a shame to waste it and then discover it was ok.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Ok my opinion for you to take or leave is that that is a HUGE amount of milk for a baby that young. My One year old drinks 4 oz at a time but not always. The general rule is that baby drinks 1-1.5 oz for every hour apart from mom. That size bottle will encourage wasting milk (which is heartbreaking! ). And overfeeding...all those bottles can also lead to overfeeding baby unless DCP is very good at reading feeding cues in a BF baby.

That's just my experience

Also why not save the mouse milk for now until you get some solid evidence on if it's usable or not. It would be a shame to waste it and then discover it was ok.
    I agree on the amount for a young baby. 4 oz is huge for a baby of that age. Heck, mine never got that much in a bottle when she was one. The rule is 1-1.5 oz per hour you are gone. I always made my daughter's bottles 3 oz or less. HTH. Sorry on the mouse poo. What a major bummer.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

That is very helpful! My Pediatrician told me that she should be eating 4 to 5 oz per feed with the logic that you give one ounces per kg. She is currently 11.5 ish pounds and healthy. I feed her every 2 to 3 hours unless sleeping at night. At night she sleeps in 4 to 5 hour stretches. However she is asleep now and it has been 6.5 hours. How many oz total should she get per day? I am so glad to hear she only needs 3 oz max per feed. I have 7 oz stored as of now. I am hopeful I'll have enough stored for Tuesday .

As for the other milk, I will store for now. That makes senses...it is heart breaking to think of tossing it. Thanks so much for you help!

Breastmilk changes in composition as the baby gets older. It's awesome! No need to increase the amount you are giving baby because of their weight. Maybe a growth spurt here or there would require some more milk but in general it should remain at the 1-1.5 oz per hour gone.

My dcp was way overfeeding my son. It was a constant battle. As soon as he hanged teachers and the new teacher soothed him like he needed, he suddenly took much less milk.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    Breastmilk changes in composition as the baby gets older. It's awesome! No need to increase the amount you are giving baby because of their weight. Maybe a growth spurt here or there would require some more milk but in general it should remain at the 1-1.5 oz per hour gone.

My dcp was way overfeeding my son. It was a constant battle. As soon as he hanged teachers and the new teacher soothed him like he needed, he suddenly took much less milk.

Good luck!

Exactly! Your pedi is used to formula, those are not the stats for BM. Also I know it's hard but you need to trust your body and let go of the oz obsession . What I mean is counting oz when at DCP is fine but when you are together nurse on demand and as long as baby is having 6 wet diapers in a 24 hour period and is growing fine there is no need to worry about oz when nursing.

It's common for DCP to overfeed if they aren't used to a BF baby so if they go through a ton of milk don't feel bad, more than likely it's them not you and you need to discuss it with them.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language