Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fresh or frozen?

Default Fresh or frozen?

Hello,

My son was born at 24 weeks, and is currently 6 weeks old. He has had some setbacks with getting on breast milk, but will be on full feeds by tomorrow! I have a very good supply, so have a huge stockpile of frozen milk, as well as plenty of fresh for him each day. My NICU is very breast milk friendly, but I'm getting mixed messages about whether its best to feed him the fresh as long as it's available, or whether we should go back and give him the frozen. He's had the colostrum and colostrum-milk-mix, so the frozen is all regular breast milk at this point. I've heard that my body makes what he needs right now, but I also know that my milk is different since he's a preemie, and am wondering if there are important immunoglobins and antibodies in the older milk that he may be needing.

Does anyone have some solid advice for me as to whether I should go one way or the other? The nurses keep putting the ball in my court, and I need to be better informed! Thank you.

Default Re: Fresh or frozen?

I personally would give fresh and save the frozen for later. Freezing kills some of the immune cells present in fresh milk. While in the hospital -- and as a very good NICU nurse and friend told me, all hospitals are not as clean as you would like -- I would want as much immunity against the current germs as possible.

If you have the milk in a deep freeze, it's good for at least a year. If it's not, you could rotate the stash by giving 1 feeding of frozen a day
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!