Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding frequency for a 7 1/2 month old

Default Feeding frequency for a 7 1/2 month old

I have a 7 1/2 month old who has been eating solid foods for the past couple of months, and I have no idea how often I am supposed to be breastfeeding her during the day. My pediatrician told me at her 6-month well-baby visit that she should eat 5 times in 24 hours, which translates to a feeding every 4 to 5 hours. However, she has gotten into the bad habit of waking up twice a night (every 4 hours) to nurse, even though I have been told that she does not nutritionally need middle-of-the-night feedings. So...if I start trying to get her to sleep for 8 hours at a stretch, does that mean that I should breastfeed her more frequently during the day to still get in 5 feedings in 24 hours?!? Help! I haven't been able to find any sort of resource for this type of information, and now my husband has me worried that our baby is not getting enough to eat when I feed her every 4 hours during the day.

Default Re: Feeding frequency for a 7 1/2 month old

My son is 8 months old, and I had some of these same thoughts. About a month after starting solids, he starting eating half of each of his bottles at the DCP and cut out one evening feeding. Overall, I was a little stressed, but the doctor basically said that as long as he is happy, gaining weight and putting out dirty diapers, that not to worry. I guess what I am saying is maybe not to watch the clock so much and go with what feels right.

How much solids are you feeding the baby?
    How many wet and soiled diapers? That is what you really need to look at.
    I bf on demand. Do you? Follow the babies lead and if he wakes to eat, feed him. If he doesn't try offering the breast more times in the day.

My son is 8 months old. He sleeps from about 8:30-8:00 without nursing. I BF on demand which turns out to be about once every 2 hours on average. This is with 3 small meals of solid food. My son is SOOOOO active that he burns off the calories of the last meal very quickly. He nurses about 5-6 times a day. Some sessions are 10 minutes, some are 45.

I just go with the flow of what my LO wants, makes for one happy baby. I used to look at the clock and stress about how long he ate, how often, etc. Just go by wet diapers and a happy LO.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

My 7 mos old nurses about every 2-3hrs during the day and currently (b/c he's not sleeping well) nurses from 2X-several X a night. It probably averages to 8X per 24hrs. He is eating some solids (not much) but I haven't noticed that it has affected how often he wants to nurse.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001