Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: almost to ep

Default Re: almost to ep

Here's another conundrum - naptime. He won't always nurse in the middle of napping or when waking up. So I could wait until he wakes up to see if he'll nurse & when he won't then I have to pump & by then its usually more than 3 hrs sometimes 4 since he last ate or I pumped. There's also the right breast. He will every now again nurse until letdown & then frustrated as soon as the letdown is done. I notice when I pump that side always just dribbles unless its been 6 hrs since last pump. He usually starts to suckle then refuses that side. I know it won't produce more unless he's on it but if he keeps refusing it how do I build it back? This is frustrating. Even more so because I really do refuse to let him have formula & feel like my efforts to keep him at breast are futile these days.

That's Ok. Just pump as soon as you realize he won't nurse that side. Or pump halfway through his nap.

Do breast compressions help?

If there is one side he won't nurse, then you have to pump it.

It takes time to rebuild a supply. And don't get rid of the Symphony!! You NEED a hospital grade pump to do this with.

ETA: I fed my baby with a syringe for a total of 3 weeks, and no, you do not need a 3 oz syringe. See if you can get a 20 ml syringe from your doc or vet (!) and use that. Easier than a bigger syringe.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Love your comment about payback for being a bf snob! My husband & I were just saying that with my luck I'll have to pump until he's 2! Compressions help with the left but are fairly useless on the right. The right doesn't even get plugged lumpies anymore when I go too long from not pumping or feeding. We have the dreaded 4 month shots Friday so I'll ask the doc then about the syringe then. They also have a LC on staff so I'll check with her, too. We have a lot of 15mL syringes from when we brought him home because they wanted us to supplement with expressed milk after his feeding because they didn't think I was keeping up with him. We tried filling them individually to equal what he usually eats but 1)too much for DH to do at 3am & 2)they have somewhat sharp tips & if you're not paying super close attention he'll get it in the gums. Eek! We'll rent the pump for as long as it takes, really. Still cheaper than formula & really why would we price out better nutrition for our son? Its such a miniscule amount of time compared to how long he'll be around. We also ditched the disposable diapers so that makes up for the cost. I'll go back to the schedule the set when we left the hospital. Pump 5 min before nursing then 15 min after. Gave me ridiculous OS issues the first month but skim milk is better than no milk I suppose. I admit when he evened out on his schedule at 3 months I got lazy because I was pumping twice the amount he needed so I thought I had some wiggle room. At least there's a hefty stash in deep freeze now. Although we've been tearing through it this month like crazy.

Get the doc to give you a few red rubber catheters or rubber tubing. Cut them to be about an inch long. Easy on gums. Called a Brecht feeder.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Update - awesome day today. Nursed when picked up fom dc. Slept from noon-6 & dreamfed & comfort nursed every 30 min the whole time. Happy baby happy mommy. Don't know what changed. Don't care either hahaha.

Yay! Sometimes things can just go right and I agree with you don't need to question why, necessarily, just enjoy it. Happy for you.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Susan

We got 3 awake nursing sessions today! Didn't have to crack that pump even once! Thanks for all the support.

And another update! Mostly for others who may be going through the same thing. 2 days strong with no refusals. & noticed .5 oz increase in right side in just past 2 days. To lessen the despair of only pulling 1 oz out while pumping I stopped pumping into a 5oz bottle & went to 2.5. Makes it look like there's a lot more! Also forgot the power of oatmeal. Hadn't been eating it for almost a week - kept forgetting it - today upped to 6 oz from on left & 2 on right! Also pump until the cycle ends itself on pump. Mostly because they may not be spraying the entire time but have stead drips abput every 3 pulses from pump.

Sounds great! Good for you!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.