Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding difficulties

Unhappy Breastfeeding difficulties

Hi,
    I am a new mom of our son born 12-28-2011. While in the hospital, he did not latch good. I had the lactation consultint come to my room several times. When we got home, he started to eat. I originally wanted to give up because it hurt so much. After a few days, it did not hurt any more. He now wants to eat non-stop. I know of cluster feeding, but he has been this way for weeks now. My nipples are a little sore but not unbearable. He should be draining the breast, but he doesn't he can be feeding on me for hours at a time, then if he falls asleep, I try to pump. I get much more out of them. Which tells me that he is not latching correctly. When I pump, I empty them it only takes me 5 min. When I look at him, I see that he has most of the arolea in his mouth. He is suckling and does swallow. He is gaining weight so I know he is getting enough food. I am exclusively giving him breast milk, however, I have been pumping and giving him a bottle when he has been eating for so long and is still cranky. ( I do burp him and check his diaper, so I know he isn't cranky for those reasons) I have to go back to work 3-36-11 and I will be pumping full time when I am away from him. I don't want to give him a pacifier, but when I do when he is screaming, he seems content. I have been reading the la leche book, but I still could use som help.
    Any recomendations help. I usually feed him in the glider and have the boppy on my lap. I tried the laid back method, but he gets frustruated trying to get the breast, even when I put his face right near the nipple.

Default Re: Breastfeeding difficulties

The fact that your baby does not "empty" your breast doesn't concern me. A lot of women (I was one) make MORE milk than their baby needs. I think I made enough milk for three babies there for a while! So if your baby is gaining weight, swallowing, seems to be doing well, there is no need to pump after feedings, and actually, that's only going to make your oversupply worse, because the more milk you remove, the more milk your body makes!! So every time you pump, you're sending the message to your body to make even more milk the next time, until pretty soon, you're practically drowning in milk!

If his latch is not quite right, it doesn't seem to be preventing him from getting milk. He seems to be gaining weight, and I assume his diaper output is good (6-8 wets per day). If you're worried about how much he's getting, don't pump - count diapers! It doesn't sound like you're TERRIBLY sore, so it may be that the latch issues are mostly figured out?

Personally I wouldn't worry at all about needing to go back to work in two months. I'd put down the pump, try to regulate my supply to baby's needs, and maybe four or five weeks before I go back, pump ONCE A DAY to get a little stash built up. (You do not need a giant stash, truly you don't!) Right now you should be nursing that baby all day long and not worrying about much else - he's probably going through a growth spurt right now, so he needs to nurse a lot. It's really normal for babies this age to be really cranky and want to nurse nonstop, especially in the evenings. It doesn't mean they aren't getting enough milk. Personally, I say if a pacifier works, go with it during those fussy evening times! I always wished my baby would take one.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am no expert, but my LO seemed to go through a constant growth spurt for the first six or seven weeks, and wanted to nurse 24/7 that whole time, partly as a comfort thing and partly as a hungry thing. The constant nursing, like by the end of a cluster feed tends to make me a little sore. And little babies just want to be held, and be close to mama. You can try wearing him in a sling or something of the sort if you need to go to the bathroom or grab a bite to eat or whatever, for many babies this is enough to keep the fussies at bay. Other than the slight soreness, it sounds like overall, things are going pretty well, right?
    I don't think that just because you can pump more after a feeding means he isn't getting anything (assuming you are seeing plentiful wet and dirty diapers, and weight gain). The breasts are never truly "empty", and are constantly making more milk. Especially if you are pumping as well as nursing, your breasts think "Oh, there's a really hungry baby, or a second baby, we'll keep making more!" and they will adjust their supply to the demand, that includes the demand of the pump.

ETA: Oh, I see JoMo has said all I was trying to say,

It is normal for a baby to nurse very frequently at this age, to nurse for a long time, to want to nurse again shortly after finishing.

The way to tell if a baby is getting enough at the breast is to watch their weight gain and their poops. It's not that behavior does not tell us anything, it does. But all to often a mom thinks baby is not getting enough when really he just wants to nurse more or is simply fussy. Fussy is normal and babies nurse for comfort & this is an important & neccesary part of nursing.

Since latch is still somewhat painful, I would suggest you keep working on latch. Keep trying laid back, remember you do not need to be way back, just a slight body tilt may help. Basically, you can be in any reclined position and baby can be in any position on or next to you. There is no wrong way to latch a baby, feel free to play around with it. See www.biologicalnurturing.com for more laid back positioning ideas. Also if it is hard to get baby to latch in a laid back position some moms find it helps to get baby latched in an upright position and then recline.

Have you tried side lying? Some moms like that position too.

I don't like to see unnecesary bottles introduced especially if mom is having latch issues, since bottles can exacerbate and cause latch issues.

Consider seeing another lactation consultant. You want to see an IBCLC. Things are very different now than they were in the hospital and it may help to have a breastfeeding helper observe your baby nursing now. An alternative is to contact a local La Leche League Leader, a few do home visits, or maybe one can see you at a meeting. LLL Leaders are volunteers and thus free, but most will not have the clinical training a IBCLC does.

You are going back to work in 2 months. That is eons in the life of a newborn. I suggest focusing on the situation you are facing right now, on getting comfortable nursing and reassuring yourself that baby gets enough at the breast, and on enjoying this time with your baby. Don't worry about back to work concerns yet. You have time.

good article on what is normal and expected in the early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Also I really dislike the boppy as a breastfeeding pillow. It's rounded shape often causes latch issues because baby will turn their nose into the crevice and pull off the nipple. Also pillows often put baby too high and that is not good for latch either. If you feel the pillow helps, maybe try to fill in that crevice with a rolled up baby blanket. Also, if the glider is comfortable great. But you can also nurse on your couch, bed, standing up, anywhere you like.

I am not a pro but when Ihad issues getting my little girl to latch good I had to squeeze my nipple like a sandwich and get the whole thing in her mouth..