Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding constantly

Default Re: Feeding constantly

I remember feeling the same way when my LO was 3 weeks. My breast was so sore and I felt like I did nothing but nurse. It was exhausting I know, but I stuck with it and now she is 7 weeks and it has gotten better. As she gets older she will get better at latching as well as you getting better feeding. HANG IN THERE YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Girls, thank you all for the info and the support. It's so comforting to read your replies after a crazy night of intensive breastfeeding... Ah, we shall overcome! Thanks :-)

I just want to say I am right there with you. My lo is two weeks and a few days and today had been one long, marathon feeding! She had only stopped nursing for at most 20 min. Hang in there, we can do it!

Yes!
    Just so you know, today I bought a cream for my sore nipples called LANSINOH. The girls recommended it. Let's see how it goes!

My previous son was nursing ALL the time and with slow wt gain. I too was told to supplement with formula, instead I went to see a lactation consultant and followed her advice... Nurse, nurse, nurse! I nursed him for 21 months These are a few of the things that helped ME:

* baby sling= I wore my baby all the time.. house, grocery store, visiting relatives, etc..
    * Nurse on demand= forget a watch, just latched the baby when ever and where ever
    *co-sleeping= having him in bed with me allowed me to sleep better and for him to nurse whenever he wanted, especially when I went back to work (10 wks old). it really allowed me to function better at work
    * Support groups= find LLL meetings locally and/or breastfeeding support groups (my local hospital has meetings every other week) I did not miss a meeting and was able to get the support and FRIENDSHIP of other nursing mommies.
    * this too shall pass=became my mantra and it did!!
    * If baby too fussy= give to my SO to hold, even if only for 2 minutes so I could go pee and then came back "refreshed" for another marathon of nursing.
    * Nook= Love my tablet, can order and read all my books while nursing and not feel as all I do is nurse, I have some ME time as well (talk about multitasking)

Good luck!
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Mommal gives some very great words of wisdom here. This is a tough time for many new moms but this to shall pass.

My son nursed all the time at that age. I never left my pj's and spend most of my days on the couch or in bed. Here are a couple things that I found helpful.

* My Boppy pillow (Oh how I love the boppy). It helped with positioning and kept my arms from having to hold the baby all the time. Sometimes when he would fall asleep nursing I could just shift him onto the couch and he would sleep in the curve of the pillow so I could pee and get water and food.

* I set up shop on the couch. Get all your stuff you need, remotes, computer, phone, snacks, books, and water bottles (I usually sat down with 2 just in case.)

* Get in bed. DO IT!! Everyone tells you to sleep with your baby, they are right listen to them. Nursing in bed can be easy on both mom and baby and every minute of sleep you can get at this point is precious.

* LC's & Local support groups. My Peds office has IBCLC's on staff that were always there when I needed "hands on help" and find a local LLL group. The group leaders can also help with positioning ideas and words of wisdom or just encouragement.

* Ignore the house it will clean its self eventually (and when I say eventually I mean when your SO or mother or friends come to help you, they will ask say yes and give them something to do that will help you eg: dishes, laundry, vacuum, make a meal etc.)

* Surrender to the fact that all you need to do in a day is Nurse Nurse Nurse. Drink lots of water and eat. (Hopefully get a shower in there to, but when that seems hard take a bath with the baby!!) and tend to the baby.

*Take unsolicited advice with a grain of salt. She is not nursing to much, if she has good wet/dirty diapers she is getting enough milk, No you can not hold her to much she will only be this small for a short time.

Good luck and

ETA: Wear the baby. Get a sling, moby, mai tai, ergo etc. It frees you up to make lunch while nursing and move about the house so you dont feel so tied down.
    Last edited by @llli*mamaDuMonte; January 24th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Ladies, great tips. I got a sling yesterday, was trying it today, already love it. And yes, support groups! This one is really helping me a lot, thanks.
    I co-sleep with my baby from the start, it's the only way she'd sleep anyway. So I can BF during the night too without major traumas. If only my nipples weren't so sore... That's killing me, they hurt so much, specially in the evenings when the baby seems to be permanently hungry. With that cream I got today I hope this will also be kind of solved...
    I'm sooo tired...
    Thanks so much again for your words.
    Truly,
    Y.

Can you describe the pain? Is it like a burning itch? Is it on the tips of your nipples? What you said about it hurting in the shower made me wonder if you might have thrush. When I had it I would notice the pain any time my nipples got wet- in baby's mouth, when I leaked, in the shower, etc.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ladies you should also try the medela shells they was a life saver for me. They keep anything from rubbing your nipples and also let them recieve air. Mine was healed within a week after using them and I never had any problems again.

Hello hello!

The pain in my nipples is not necessarily increased when they are in contact with liquid - they simply hurt when they are in contact with anything. That's why I'm not wearing a bra and I try to keep them free as much as possible, but with this hungry princess I have that's a challenge... Let's see if things improve with that cream I got. But what is this medela you mention? I'll investigate that, thanks!

BTW mommal asked about the shape of my nipples after feeding my baby and I replied they looked like pencil-erasers as opposed to lipsticks, but lately they are looking more like lipsticks. What does this mean?

Ah, this is tough! But with your tips and support, it seems easier :-) I specially like the the suggestion by mamaDuMonte: Surrender to the fact that all you need to do in a day is Nurse Nurse Nurse. Hahaha! That's the hardest thing! I'm getting there, I guess... You should see me, I look more and more like a human cow, and my house looks more and more like a cow shed!! ;-)

Regards, and thanks again,
    Y.