Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why is he not paying attention!?

Default Why is he not paying attention!?

I swear! Just when things started to get good and I finally got him onto the breast instead of pumping --

He's hit a growth spurt. I get that. Sometimes, especially at night, he nurses forEVER. Like an hour. But then, during the day... he barely eats, and I mean barely. He'll suck on one boob, whichever I offer first, for about 5 minutes. He will not take the other when he's done. He screams, actually, sometimes, and will refuse. And then he gets mad and will sit there and suck on his hands, and that's it.

And then, 45 minutes to an hour later, guess who's cranky for feeding again? Guess who will only eat one side for barely 5-8 minutes? Yep. That little guy I mentioned above.

Thing is, yesterday, I came down with mastitis. I worked it out, though, expressed, pumped, nursed all day until I couldn't stand it and it's better, it's just now my boob that had the plugged duct now ... feels a lot lighter. So much that there's not much in it. And then today, the left followed suit. They no longer feel full during feedings and I'm worried that perhaps, in his cranky, growth spurt breast strike (as it appears to be to me) that he's made my supply plummet and now won't nurse because there ain't nothin' there.

On top of that, when he's on the breast, he is interested in everything BUT feeding. He'll pop off to grin and talk to dad, or he'll pop off to grin and yap at me. He'll watch things and just stop sucking. He'll talk to my boob or yell at it, but he still, every time I relatch him, seems to *want* to feed.

I just dunno what to do. Any suggestions or advice would be handy dandy.
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

Default Re: Why is he not paying attention!?

Oh man this sounds EXACTLY like my DD! One thing I found out was that I actually did have OS along with OALD which meant she was getting pretty much a full feed in in that 5 minutes or so on one side but she was hungry again so quickly because she was getting mostly foremilk which wasn't sticking with her long. I ended up block feeding. Even though I too felt "light" and like my supply was decreased. Also the thing that worked for us even though it was a pain was I had to walk around while feeding her. It did the trick. I only had to do it for a week or so before she got "used" to nursing contentedly again. Also I got some necklaces that are really sturdy and wear those when she is nursing and she plays with them They have special breastfeeding necklaces out there. Good luck!!!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boog View Post
    I swear! Just when things started to get good and I finally got him onto the breast instead of pumping --

He's hit a growth spurt. I get that. Sometimes, especially at night, he nurses forEVER. Like an hour. But then, during the day... he barely eats, and I mean barely. He'll suck on one boob, whichever I offer first, for about 5 minutes. He will not take the other when he's done. He screams, actually, sometimes, and will refuse. And then he gets mad and will sit there and suck on his hands, and that's it.

And then, 45 minutes to an hour later, guess who's cranky for feeding again? Guess who will only eat one side for barely 5-8 minutes? Yep. That little guy I mentioned above.

Thing is, yesterday, I came down with mastitis. I worked it out, though, expressed, pumped, nursed all day until I couldn't stand it and it's better, it's just now my boob that had the plugged duct now ... feels a lot lighter. So much that there's not much in it. And then today, the left followed suit. They no longer feel full during feedings and I'm worried that perhaps, in his cranky, growth spurt breast strike (as it appears to be to me) that he's made my supply plummet and now won't nurse because there ain't nothin' there.

On top of that, when he's on the breast, he is interested in everything BUT feeding. He'll pop off to grin and talk to dad, or he'll pop off to grin and yap at me. He'll watch things and just stop sucking. He'll talk to my boob or yell at it, but he still, every time I relatch him, seems to *want* to feed.

I just dunno what to do. Any suggestions or advice would be handy dandy.
    The bolded is TOTALLY normal. Not really much you can do in that situation mama.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

My son only takes one breast per feeding and is only on about 5min. He is a fast eater I was told early on by the other moms on her that the lo gets more efficiant at nursing therefore taking less time to eat. Maybe at night he takes so long because he is sleepy or he needs comforting. Also my lo started getting distracted around 4months and I was told by moms on here that it was all normal and they called it "The four month fussys" I believe. He is almost 7months now and that has improved but every now and again he gets a little wild I found that a great nursing necklace helped out a lot. Kept his eyes and hands entertained Here is the site I purchased mine from.

I wouldn't worry so much about all this. As long as he is healthy and happy I wouldn't push or worry. jmo

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boog View Post
    In my opinion and experience....once your supply is in sink with your his needs your breasts will feel like there is nothing in them, especially if he nurses frequently. The only time my breasts feel full is after a blissful night of sleep (8 hours no nursing). Or just after a growth spurt, when they even back out to a normal feeding schedule. Quick question though, after he nurses on just one breast....does he seem happy or does he get upset? Or is it that he is upset cause you are trying to get him to nurse more when maybe he doesn't need to?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

:Agree with pp for sure! Now that my supply is regulated to my baby and not to baby +pump my boobs feel quite soft most of the time. Even though I still spray milk upon let down lol. I also thought I'd throw in there that my first DD never nursed longer than 10 minutes and most of the time it was 5 and was one side at a time until she was about 6 or 7 months. And DD2 is the same way. She takes a bit more time that DD1 but I think that's just her personality :P
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Sounds a lot like my DS at that age, as others have said. My DS is now 11 months, and he'll still pop off to grin and talk to me, or to dad, or to whoever is around. I think he's just trying to be social. As adults, we do that when we eat: most of us don't just chow down single-mindedly until we're done. We talk, we socialize, we take a couple bites, we talk more.... So maybe your DS is just imitating that.

I agree with the pps: as for your breasts, it seems more like your supply is regulating. As long as your DS is having the right amount of wet/poopy diapers each day, I don't think there's a lot to worry about.
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

W is like that big time right now. Distracted by everything the TV, computer, phones, me, daddy the dogs you name it. He really makes me laugh when he is trying to talk to me while he still has the nipple in him mouth.

As for supply, now that we have become more in sync I only feel full if he misses a feeding for some reason or sleeps well at night.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude