Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too late to start BF?

Unhappy Is it too late to start BF?

My son is 17 days old today. Born 1-4-12. I've been feeling bad about not at least trying to BF my son as I did with my two older girls. But, I didn't feel like I wanted to at all when I was pregnant or when I had him. It's just not that I feel like I want to feed him via breast. I tried to get him to latch on today with a nipple shield, and he nurse for a while, but I know I obviously don't have a good supply. So, I am trying to pump at least every 2.5 hours. He is nursing/bottle feeding about every 3-4 hours. But, I'm getting less than 1/2 an ounce when I put, which I know it to be expected since I haven't been BF.

My questions are:
    Is it too late?
    How often should I offer the breast?
    How often should I pump?
    Should I offer breast and then pump?

All the help is needed! I'm going to contact my local LLL group on Monday morning to help with assistance, but wanted to get started as soon as possible. Thanks for all the help!

Default Re: Is it too late to start BF?

here are some links, good luck, good to hear he latched one, that's great :

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Thanks for the link!!

Great you are getting in touch with you local LLL. Linked articles above from mtmama are excellent. I also suggest the books Making More Milk and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010)

Have your feelings about nursing your son changed? Relactating and bringng a baby to the breast at this age is certainly very possible but it will likely be frustrating for a while, and you are going to need to be able to motivate yourself. I guess I am saying don't waste time & energy feeling guilty, your feelings this time around were different I guess, and you may want to examine why that is, but they were/are your feelings and deserve respect.

To answer you questions I would suggest offering the breast as much as you possibly can and pump as much as you can, without feeeling overwhelmed. The sooner baby begins latching and nursing regularly and well the sooner you can cut back on pumping. And yes it is fine to pump after nursing.

Don't worry about how much you pump each time. Really, try not to get overly concerned about that. You may never pump as much as your baby is able to extract, because pumps are not as effective as babies at getting milk out.

Also it is fine to pump in a regular patterns (every such and such hours) but many moms find it easier to pump in an irregular pattern, as they can, which is fine because that is how a baby would normaly be nursing anyway. Also overall frequency of pumping is more important when building supply than how long you pump each time. Here is a pumping log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...umpigchart.pdf

Thank you for the chart! That is going to help out a lot. With my girls I had to go back to work right away. This time, however, I'm able to stay out of work for 12 weeks. And i now have a job that will allow me to pump while at work. It just seems right this time. I want that bond that I get when i breastfeed. I want the connection that only a mother and child can have when they breastfeed.