Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think hes thirsty!

Default I think hes thirsty!

So I'm letting the ILs watch DS for a few hours just to keep some peace w/DH. BUT I know MIL is going to ask "what if he gets thirsty?" She ALWAYS asks and normaly I say well, I nurse him when hes thirsty! I will pack DS his straw-sippy cup with BM and I will feed him right before we leave. BUT last time I let her watch him (6months ago) she gave him juice IN A BOTTLE And she knew he didnt have a bottle or juice, let alone juice in a bottle! So I need to have my answer for her ready! Any help would be great.

thanks, jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Default Re: I think hes thirsty!

At that age, a little bit of super dilute juice in a sippy is OK if you are Ok with juice and might shut her up.

Or just plain water in a sippy Then baby has a choice too, if he is just thirsty he can drink some water, but if he feels a but hungry, he has BM in a sippy too. Everyone wins. MIL has no need to give a bottle
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you didn't leave a bottle, where'd she get the bottle from? I just find that weird. The odd toy I get, but having a bottle when there's no baby in the house? It's like they're planning to give a bottle regardless, ya know?

I would specifically tell her: Here's a sippy with BM in it, here's another with spring water. He won't need anything else, please don't give him anything else.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    If you didn't leave a bottle, where'd she get the bottle from? I just find that weird. The odd toy I get, but having a bottle when there's no baby in the house? It's like they're planning to give a bottle regardless, ya know?

I would specifically tell her: Here's a sippy with BM in it, here's another with spring water. He won't need anything else, please don't give him anything else.
    Thanks for the advise ladies From DAY 1 MIL was *anti-BF* she went out and bought bottles and formula "just in case"
    She had it in her CRAZY head that she would be keeping my DS EVERY weekend b/c "thats what I did, I had to have my break!" REALLY

And thats only one of the MANY reasons DS isnt left alone with her. I will be sending 2 cups, Im just worried she give him something anyway EVEN though I say not to (oh I know what you said, but...) I truely believe she & SIL do it just to upset me. Last time (juice in bottle) she told me if I was going to have *rules* for her then she didn't want to watch him again!

Hopefull all will go ok! I'll let you all know
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raidensmamma View Post
    Thanks for the advise ladies From DAY 1 MIL was *anti-BF* she went out and bought bottles and formula "just in case"
    She had it in her CRAZY head that she would be keeping my DS EVERY weekend b/c "thats what I did, I had to have my break!" REALLY

And thats only one of the MANY reasons DS isnt left alone with her. I will be sending 2 cups, Im just worried she give him something anyway EVEN though I say not to (oh I know what you said, but...) I truely believe she & SIL do it just to upset me. Last time (juice in bottle) she told me if I was going to have *rules* for her then she didn't want to watch him again!

Hopefull all will go ok! I'll let you all know
    If you were going to have rules?!?!!? Lookit crazy lady, whose baby is this?!?!?!

Oh, I'd also add that "If you run out, call me. Do not give him anything else. I'll come back." Obviously she needs it spelled out. There are no cases for "buts" in this scenario, especially with what she's pulled in the past.

Something that I would do is make sure that your DH is there with you at drop off and have HIM say it "Nothing Else." Best case scenario would be to have him say ALL of it and just have you standing beside him. Having it come from him will probably carry more weight with her than if it comes from you. That way she'll know that you both have discussed it and are in agreement. So she won't just be going against you (which for some reason is acceptable to some MIL's ), she'll also be going against her son. If DH is pressuring you to have his Mom babysit, then he needs to be 100% on board with you and supportive of your parenting decisions.
    Last edited by @llli*amysmom; January 21st, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I think i would also explain why you dont want him to have juice. Show that you arent just being controlling, but actually being reasonable. I also feel, in the long run, kids are generally fine having different rules at gp's house, as long as they are all within reason. Given how straining this is, what about having a serious talk with them about how you feel they are sabotaging your bfing? Explain that you are ok with them having their own rules about x, y, z (television, video games, telephone use? At 11 months ) and eventually they can set their own food rules, too, but while bm is still his primary food, that supply needs to be protected. I would tell them that you want them to have their own relationship with LO, but that they need to respect you. You could bring them the WHO bf guidelines, too, so they would see you are "normal".

I'm imaging a parallel internet forum where the extended family of extended nursers go online and complain about the intimacy and health advantages of nursing older babies and toddlers. Wouldnt that be kind of awesome? You could give the address to your inlaws, saying, "dont complain to me, but I'm sure you will find support for your feelings here."
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I say if they don't like your rules they don't get alone time but I'm a meanie like that
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

I. would. have. lost. it. If my MIL would have fed my child juice against my wishes, I literally would never leave my child with her again. Like for another decade.

I go ape**** when anyone even hints at something that may interfere with our breastfeeding relationship or when my close family members STILL don't get the fact that I am raising a purely breastfed, no CIO baby.
    Case 1: on the phone with my mom, DS just turned 11 months
    Mom: "Wow he's almost 1, you should start giving him milk now."
    Me: "Oh, he is getting milk. All of his nutrition actually comes from milk."
    Mom: "Oh, no I mean regular milk, like all the other normal babies."
    Me: "Do you mean cow's milk? Because that's for baby cows." Click.
    (fyi, nothing against cow's milk at age 1. I just didn't like the insinuation that my milk instantaneously needed to be replaced with milk from another species on his first birthday)

Case 2: at MIL's house, DS just turned 3 months
    MIL: "Is he sleeping through the night yet?"
    Me: "No, because he is a 3 month old infant."
    MIL: "Aren't you tired?"
    Me: "Yes."
    MIL: "Just let him sleep with me tonight, I had no problem getting [DH] to sleep through the night." (Also, mind you, FIL has sleep apnea and wears a breathing mask at night... just wonderful for cosleeping )
    Me: "How will he eat? Do you lactate?" (MIL is in her 60s, and YES I said exactly this to her.)
    MIL:
    Me:
    Last edited by @llli*greatestjoy; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*faith511518 View Post
    I say if they don't like your rules they don't get alone time but I'm a meanie like that
    I don't think that's mean; I think that's being a good parent.

I do not let my child around anybody who cannot follow my rules. Doesn't matter if they are related by blood or marriage. It's a huge sign of disrespect and, honestly, your real problem is with your husband if he's throwing you and your child under the bus to placate his parents. Urgh.

Daaaaaaaaaang I would have been MAAAAD! I can't really even say what I'd do because I seriously have the best MIL ever and she is hugely supportive of breastfeeding along with my mom and all my family (even if my brothers and dad say I have to cover up around them ) If anyone gave my baby strait juice in a bottle I would have freaked. Maybe try finding some facts from really reliable sources to print out and show to her and explain why you feel the way you do. But seriously it really just BLOWS MY MIND that anyone could think formula is BETTER in ANY WAY (not yelling just emphasizing) than breastmilk. I mean I just don't get how anyone can think that. Oh and I'm totally with you on cow's milk. Why on earth would that be better than human milk. I mean really. My 3 year old doesn't drink cow milk, she drinks my milk (she self weaned at 13 months but still gets my milk in a cup). I suggest writing down your rules. So there is no confusion or pretend confusion on her part. And put them on the fridge. On laminated index cards. I am so sorry you have an unsupportive MIL. That really sucks.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!