Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt or dwindling supply?

Default Growth spurt or dwindling supply?

I have a 6 week old baby boy. Nursing has been going pretty good despite some hurdles with OALD and reflux (due to the OALD). Seems like each week I have a new hurdle and need help figuring out how to jump it!

This week, I thought we were hitting the 6 week growth spurt since he was wanting to nurse like every hour and has gone from eating on one side per feeding to nursing on both sides at each feeding. But now, as we're on like day 4 of this, I'm concerned that he's not getting enough from me. I've never skipped feedings, and the longest he's ever gone at night is 4 hours and thats like once a night maybe 2-3 times a week.

How long does a growth spurt last? Do you think it's a supply issue instead of a growth spurt?

Thanks in advance!
    Lindsey

Default Re: Growth spurt or dwindling supply?

Hi Lindsey,
    Congratulations on your little boy and welcome to this forum. It sounds like a growth spurt to me, just a longer one. It is not unusual for it to last a few days. Meanwhile, take care of yourself, rest often and your body will respond soon.
    Take heart, my son (10 weeks old) had the longest growth spurt for about 7 weeks.
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

You can always monitor the number of diapers to assure yourself that the baby is getting enough.

Look for the baby to have 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 wet disposable diapers) per day. (An easy way to feel the weight of a wet disposable diaper is to pour 2-4 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper.)

My daughter's growth spurts last atleast a week and sometimes longer. It is hard to feed like every 1-2 hours but you get the reward of increased supply in the end. It will pass soon. I too thought it was a low supply causing the frequent feedings, but now that her 3 mo spurt is over, we are nursing normally again and happy