Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: re-use or throw?

Default re-use or throw?

sorry if this is a dumb question, starting to learn to pump and store milk for return to work. So if I have a pumped bottle and DD only drank half, do I throw away the rest? If it was thawed, I read you can't store again, what about fresh milk..

Default Re: re-use or throw?

if they dont finish the milk from a bottle at the first feeding, you can offer it again for the next feeding but after that you would want to toss it.

if milk has been frozen and thawed you ideally want to use it within 24 hrs.

unfrozen milk can stay in the fridge for several days, it depends on each woman. some women have excess lipase which causes the milk to taste off, so their milk would not last with a fresh taste as long. there is nothing unhealthy or bad about this milk, just that babies often refuse it due to the funky taste. if you are freezing milk it is a good idea to test if you have the lipase issue.

the way to test is to express some milk, a small amount, leave it in the fridge and taste it periodically over a few days. the "off" taste is pretty clear.

hope that helps!

Huh. I just reoffer the milk at the next feeding. If you store it in small increments, then you have 1-2 feedings that you have thawed. I refuse to toss milk unless it is obviously bad.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I totally agree with the pp that said to check for lipase prior to building a freezer stash. You will be crushed if you find out that your entire freezer stash is rancid! (It happened to me and I had almost 900oz that DS refused to drink.)

I also am in agreement with aprilsmagic; I never toss milk unless it is obviously bad or DS refuses it. I can tell when mine starts to go bad because it starts to stick all over the sides of the bottle even after I shake it up. If there is leftover in the bottle I just stick it back in the fridge until the next feeding. You could also leave it out if you do not want to rewarm it. Most EBM is good at room temp for 4-6 hrs.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Usually , but wish we were still

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

thanks all! We are giving her a "practice bottle". I put too much in the first time but now I'm giving her a smaller quantity just to practice so we don't waste. Thanks again!

mommyann - 900 oz! That sucks!