Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changing feeding schedule?

Default Changing feeding schedule?

I think my 8 month old is trying to drop some feedings. He gets easily distracted, so getting him to nurse at all is interestingly difficult.

What I'm wondering is if I need to rearrange when he's nursing or if I should just go with what he's doing? He is eating 3 meals of solids and some snacky things in between (when I'm eating because it's rude to eat in front of him ).

What he has been doing the last couple of days is eating really early (like 545 or 6 am). Then, he doesn't want to eat again until 10 or so. Then, it's something like 2 pm (depending on when he wakes from his nap). IF he takes his 3rd nap, he'll nurse after that. Otherwise, he fights me so he can go see Daddy and sister. He knows they're out there!

So, should I smooth him more into "breakfast," "lunch," and "dinner?" So that he's getting them more regularly/spaced out?

Otherwise, he wont' nurse before "dinner" - even if I don't give him solids. He refuses.

I have some pumped milk - I could do that in a cup for him.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Changing feeding schedule?

Actually, I would cut down on solids, especially the snacks, and offer more, not less. It sounds to me like your LO could be on the path to a nursing strike, and I would try to head that off at the pass!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Changing feeding schedule?

Here's the problem, though. We really aren't offering that much in solids...really. And, he'll always nurse after waking up or in the middle of the night. The big issue seems to be the one at "dinner" time - and I honestly believe it's because it takes some time for my letdown to occur b/c he's either not sucking hard enough or just because it's taking a moment.

So, to keep him from going from 2 pm (if he happens to wake up then and then refuse to take a 3rd nap) until he goes to sleep for the night (between 6 and 7) without any source of food or nursing, we offer him some solids of some sort.

But, here's what happened today, for instance:

First of all, last night, he woke up at 10 pm and nursed fully on both sides.
    This morning at 445, he woke up and nursed fully on both sides.
    He woke BACK up around 6 am and nursed fully.
    He woke BACK up around 8 am and WOULDN'T nurse. So, since he'd had solids at 6am, we gave him some pear and some Cheerios - he let us know when he was done.
    He took his next nap and when he woke at 11, he nursed fully. At noon, I gave him some banana, some Cheerios, etc. It wasn't anything huge as we were driving to and from Lowes!
    After his next nap, he nursed fully at 345.

Because his 2nd nap got him up so late, when I tried at 530 to let him nurse again, he suckled for a few moments, but then refused. Kept turning his head. Soooo, we gave him a cup with some pumped milk in it. He dabbled at that, but drank some. It was evident he was thinking: Um, why is this in HERE!? With that, he had a very small 1 oz or less serving of peas, a little yogurt, and he had some crackers.

When it came time to go to bed around 630, I tried. He suckled for a bit, nothing happened. I kept switching sides trying to get the flow going or to keep him engaged. He finally bucked off of me, gave me a very frustrated scream, and let me lay him down without a fight (he's not a snuggler).

So, other than the time that he's already been awake, he's taking the breast. I want to nurse him until a year, and I know that the 3rd nap is going to disappear soon meaning that we'll most definitely lose that opportunity to nurse if he keeps doing this. I'm fine pumping after he goes to bed so he has milk to drink with dinner, but I really thought the evening nursing would be the LAST to go.

Hope that clarifies. I'm open to suggestions.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com