Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old and low milk supply

Default 7 month old and low milk supply

i have a very low supply of probably 1 or 1 and a half oz. everyfeeding. how can i increase my supply . i have her on little solids.she is wetting 3 diapers in 24 hrs.
    she is 7 months now. when she is awake she sucks very lightly, and drinks slowly. when she is sleepy she sucks for 5 mins. I try to lay there so she drinks in her sleep. If i had a full supply maybe she would do a suck drink suck drink instead of a suck suck suck wait suck suck suck wait or drink.

Default Re: 7 month old and low milk supply

Could you be pregnant? That is one easily ruled out cause for low supply.

Yes, that is a low number of wet diapers for a child that age.

I would suggest a nursing vacation. Go to bed for three days and just nurse. Hang out and nurse. No supplements. Sleep nurse. If baby won't nurse both sides, pump one and nurse the other. See if that makes a difference.

What happens if you use breast compressions?

Was your supply OK before? Are you home FT, or do you pump at work? If you pump, what kind do you have and how old is it? Do you give bottles?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PP. She asked all the right questions. If you can give us the answers, we may be able to help you figure out what is going on, and how to fix it.

ETA: I thought of a couple more questions- first, have you been scheduling feedings at all? And second, have you recently started a new form of contraception?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Has it been like this since the beginning or is this a new thing?
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

milk supply was great till 4 months. she was fussing and i supplemented on and off.
    then she just had formula at 5 months (all feeds)and nursed to sleep. She had milk protien allergy which i found out at the end of 5months and she just turned her head away with the bottle. i was nursing but still she didnt suck too long and so by 6 months i supplemented when she slept (as that was the only time she took the bottle) and nursed otherwise when i cud.I got a hospital grade pump and started pumping whenever i cud. now i have a low supply but it had increased to the point that i felt the firmness and softness when she drank mostly at night by the beginning of january. but she would drink how much she wanted and unlatch to sleep again only at night. At night she will suck better to drink during the day when she is awake she wont suck as strong.
    She has three full wet diapers. i take fenugreek. i am confused about pumping and when to pump to increase it.
    contraceptive- essure since december 2011.
    NOw baby is mobile and just started crawling all over and pulling up to stand.
    I can lay there when she sleeps till she wakes up. I am now co-sleeping with her.

If she will nurse, NURSE. Fastest and easiest way to get your supply up. And honestly, what it sounds like is you didn't nurse for a while (is this correct?) and that is why your supply is low now. Milk is a demand thing. If there is no demand, you lose your supply. So...increase demand. Stop using bottles as much as you can and nurse. She probably prefers a bottle -- it is easier and faster to drink from a bottle, so many babies get 'hooked' on bottled and will refuse to nurse again. I have one myself who could not nurse at birth. Now, after 9+ months of special feeders, I was unable to get him to nurse post-surgery and will be stuck using bottles for the duration If she will nurse, look into an SNS and then start weaning from bottles to that, then to breast only.

If she won't nurse, there are a few things you can do to bring your supply up:
    Rent a hospital grade pump
    Plan to empty your breasts every 2-3 hours around the clock, either by baby (best) or by pump. Plan for at least 8 sessions a day, or a total of 120 minutes in 24 hours.
    Make sure one pumping session, or nursing session, is between midnight and 5 AM. Yes, get up to do this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Excellent advice from aprilsmagic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

she will nurse at night and i know she is drinking.she nurses in the day too and i pump. no bottles at all. i spoon feed her the pumped milk when i give her solids. during the day i try to nurse as much as i can. i try to pump 8 times and sometimes i land up with 6 sessions. at night she will nurse but not for long sessions just short ones, every 2 hrs.
    i just want her to nurse when she wakes up and that will make it easier with taking care of 2 older kids instead of laying with her.
    thankyou aprilsmagic ! will b doing that. night pumping is hard as i nurse too,and i want her to drink.but i will try to put that in.
    Last edited by @llli*candlesinsmoke; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Make yourself comfy on the couch, where you can watch the older kids (I have those too), and dream nurse her.

You can rebuild your supply
    Susan