Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush-What to do about baby?

Default Thrush-What to do about baby?

So, I'm fairly certain I've got some thrush going on with my nipples. Bright red, starting to get some stinging pain in my breasts and with latch. Not terrible yet, but I like to be proactive. Happened to have my 6wk checkup today. And my OB agreed and gave me a script for 2 weeks of Diflucan. Every single thing I have EVER read about thrush and breastfeeding says you should always treat both mother and baby regardless if they both have symptoms or not. Well, called the pediatrician, and I was told that he won't treat without symptoms, that just because I have it doesn't mean that DS will get it....blah blah blah. I quit listening.

So what should I do? I hate the thought of spending 2 weeks taking a med, sterilizing crap, not adding to my freezer stash, just to have to do it all over again. Is there a chance since it seems to be caught early on that he won't get it? Other steps I can take to make sure he doesn't?

Default Re: Thrush-What to do about baby?

i had the same situation. i was very annoyed with the pediatrician to say the least.

could you get a script for All Purpose Nipple Ointment?

i ended up taking the diflucan, sterilizing like a crazy person for a few days, i used vinegar solutions on everything, and using lotrimin on my nipples frequently, esp before/after a feeding. we did ok.

My OB was the same way. I treated Charlotte (and me) with Gentian Violet along with the Diflucan and vinegar washes. It worked for us and I've been thrush free for a few weeks now.

Hm, could you have your ob write a script for the liquid form, so that you could also give it to lo? Otherwise, well, if I were really concerned, I think I might explore other docs.

ETA : Triciajoy, so glad to hear your thrush is gone!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

We've had a struggle with thrush too, but opposite of your issue. My son has it and nystatin didn't work, and I called my doc for some diflucan to make sure I was treated so we weren't passing it back and forth. I was told "treating you won't help him, just wash your nipples with hot water and soap before and after breastfeeding"

Now I am pretty sure I do have it on at least one side. I called my OB and they got me the script (the first doc is our family doc). I do believe we'll be finding a new family doc!

My pediatrician was reluctant to treat my son (he had no symptoms) but I certainly did. She finally gave me the nystatin, but it made him horribly gassy and upset, so I think I stopped it after two days. I continued treating myself with the diflucan, vinegar rinses, washing everything that came in contact with my boobs on hot, and sterilizing any nipples, paci's pump parts etc. It cleared up and haven't had an issue again.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

I genuinely like our doctor, and I have a feeling that if I'd discussed this with him personally (and not just heard via the nurse who'd listened to my voicemail and asked him) that he probably would have given me what I requested once I explained why. I guess I will just watch him closely...sterilize all nipple shields and pacifiers, won't add to my freezer stash, I've been washing my nipples off after every feeding and letting them air dry, and based on Kellymom and Dr. Newman's sites...probably give him some probiotics. I also plan to add some GSE to laundry and maybe even do the recommended rinses to my nipples if I don't notice any changes in the next few days. Has anyone else done the diluted GSE solution to baby's mouth as well...I read it on one of the Kellymom links (http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html)??

If you cannot reach your doctor personally, perhaps you can seek a second opinion on this matter without jettising your doctor entirely. Are there any lactation services provided by your health care group or hospital, or can you see a private IBCLC? An LC won't be able to write a script, of course, but she presumably will be able to give you up to date published research on the recommended treatments for thrush, proper dosages, etc.that you cna then share wiht your doctor. Unfortunately, too many health care providers do not have this info.

Thrush is only one possibility for the symptoms you describe, and you may want to rule out anything else (shallow latch, bacterial infection of the nipple, vasospasm-but if you feel strongly you have thrush, then I feel stongly you want to get both yourself and your baby treated properly ASAP, as thrush can become a nightmare very quickly.

If you cannot get proper prescription treatment, the OTC remedy suggested in the lactaion text Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple (Mohrbacher, 2010) that can be used for baby and mom is gentian violet.