Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: shield size vs output

Default shield size vs output

So I am not sure which size shields I need. When I ise the standard that came with my PISA so much of my boob is sucked into the tube that my nipple often rubs on the back of the connector. But when I use the next size smaller, even thought they feel mor comfortable, it seems like I dont pump as much. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Or any ideas on which size is preferable?
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Usually , but wish we were still

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

Default Re: shield size vs output

Have you played around with the suction and speed settings?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I would go with comfort myself, as long as it gets you enough milk long term
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What about going with the smaller size, but adding manual breast compressions to your routine. The bigger ones might be getting you more milk because stimulating the WHOLE breast tends to get better results quantity-wise. But you can do the same thing with your hands.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes I have. And even on the lowest setting that will produce with the larger ones I still get sucked in that far, and even on the highest comfortable setting wih the smaller ones I dont get as much output. I dont know what else to try; and I am worried about the larger shields damaging the tissue. Is that a possibility?
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

I doubt that a breast shield could permanently damage your breast tissue. At the least you'd see some nasty bruises if that was the case. If you're not seeing anything, then the main issue is whether it's comfortable or not. My breasts looked pretty weird getting sucked into the flanges, but it didn't hurt and the milk came out, so I was okay with it. If it's not comfy, though, you need to make some adjustments.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I doubt that a breast shield could permanently damage your breast tissue. At the least you'd see some nasty bruises if that was the case. If you're not seeing anything, then the main issue is whether it's comfortable or not. My breasts looked pretty weird getting sucked into the flanges, but it didn't hurt and the milk came out, so I was okay with it. If it's not comfy, though, you need to make some adjustments.
    In theory, I should be using a 27. But it HURT. But 2 IBCLCs agreed that should be my size. A 30 hurt. 36 was better. Go with what is comfortable, not with how weird it looks. Pumping is fundamentally very weird.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you to all of you ladies for your advice! I do get what looks like a little bit of bruising around my nipples after i am done, but it only lasts for a short time (like 5min). I think I will go ahead and try to go back down to the smaller size again because the bigger one is definately uncomfortable. And I will keep up with the massage and compressions. Thanks!
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

-Unknown Author