Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep

Unhappy Nursing to sleep

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I apologize in advance if it's not.

I've been nursing almost non stop for 5 years and thought I knew everything but I guess not.

My question is regarding my 10 week old DD3. With DD1 and DD2 I nursed to sleep, it was so easy. Well, DD3 doesn't nurse to sleep, once she's full, she pushes my nipple with her tongue. During the day I have no problem as I wear her almost all day so she falls asleep pretty easy in the wrap but at night, right at bed time, which is at 9:30pm for now (by her own choice) she cries to sleep. We co-sleep so I nurse her and then she starts to cry until she falls asleep, on my chest and with me singing lullabies, so it's not CIO but I have to admit, it feels like it. I hate to hear her crying so much.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to stop this? She can cry between 5 min to 1/2 hour. Is there a way you found to "teach" her how to fall asleep on the breast?

TIA

Default Re: Nursing to sleep

Aww, mama, that sounds hard! I don't think the's anything you can do to get your LO to fall asleep on the breast if she doesn't want to do it. But it sounds like motion really helps her get to her sleepy place- so maybe try rocking, bouncing, or swinging her to sleep?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply.

We tried that already and at that time nothing works! Not even wearing her. It actually feel like she is doing it as part of her bedtime routine. I really hope I'm wrong! I can't believe my magic breasts don't work!! LOL

One of my babies did that briefly, and it was like he had to process things by crying for a few minutes. We held him, and it was not CIO, but it was his release.

It did pass pretty quickly. And then he started nursing to sleep somewhere in the second half of his first year.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

There is a theory that some people do find crying helpful. At least you might take some comfort in that...

http://www.askmoxie.org/2011/01/tension-decreasers.html
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I really hope that is going to be our case too.

Thanks a lot for your replies!