Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby not getting enough hindmilk??

Default baby not getting enough hindmilk??

Ok I know the differences between foremilk and hindmilk. I feel like i'm doing everything I can to ensure baby is getting this. yet we still have green stools.

My dd is 4 weeks old and has had green stools for 2 weeks. We only nurse one side per feeding. She nurses for 20-30 minutes, she has regular wet and dirty diapers. I've cut most dairy out. i really dont know what more I can do and how to get her stools back to yellowish.

Default Re: baby not getting enough hindmilk??

Green is actually on the scale of normal, to some extent. Is baby bothered? Is baby growing well? If so, stop stressing.

One of my guys had green poop. It was just his normal. He was great in all other respects.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with Susan

My babies both had TONS of different colors of poop - yellow, orange, brown, green - and it's all okay if baby is comfortable and healthy.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Green is normal, is it mucusy (virus or dairy issue) or frothy (foremilk hind milk issue)

This is a great poop link
    http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Ok so maybe its just her normal color. The weird thing is sometimes it will be more yellow. I even tried giving her some formula in which gave her yellow stool. She hasn't been weighed since 6 days old so i'm not sure about her weight but everything seems normal besides the color. I dont think its frothy but i'm not sure what that would appear like.

Bubbly
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No its not bubbly. It looks the same consistency as it does when its yellow but most of the time its just green.

If you're nursing on just one side per feeding, I am guessing that you have a lot of milk, right? Maybe you feel full or engorged a lot? If so, let us know and maybe we can help you fix that problem, which usually fixes green poop issues as well. Don't worry too much, though: green poop is not a huge health issue, and it can persist for a long time without really causing any problems at all. Maybe some additional fussiness or gassiness, but those are worth the benefit of a 100% breastmilk diet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well sometimes my breast feels empty and I dont feel a let down and sometimes it feels engorged and I feel the let down. I have no clue how to regulate the milk. She does seem to be moving away from the green stools and having more of the yellowish/brown but today I noticed she had a green/mucousy stool a couple times. Since I cut out milk she doesn't seem to be bothered by the dairy other than the stools.

Most moms overproduce milk in the early days, and they feel full or engorged a lot, and if they feel the letdown sensation it can be intense. But after they have been nursing for a while, production declines to meet baby's needs more exactly, at which point moms feel "empty" a lot of the time, leak less or not at all, feel lessened letdown sensations or no letdown sensations,and if they are pumping they tend to pump less. Sometimes moms who have been nursing on just one breast per feeding eventually need to transition to nursing on both sides. As supply regulates, moms often notice that green poop issues gradually lessen and may even disappear.

Generally the ONLY thing a mom needs to do in order to regulate her supply is to nurse on demand.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"